Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.

2004 Mercury mountaineer: warning light..he revs up rpms (..highway

My husband drives an 2004 Mercury Moutaineer and a warning light is flashing and beeping that says "Check charging system warning". He can''t get it to stop flashing but at least the alarm beep has stopped. It has happened before when he revs up RPMs (such as excelerating onto a highway). Any idea what it means (he doesn''t have the manual on hand).

HelloCustomer your husband's truck has an alternator that most likely has failed. It may not have completely stopped charging but has at the very least reduced its output. He should have the charging system checked to avoid a breakdown. Let me know if you need other information.

Your JA Expert,

If you feel that I've helped you at all, please press accept. That's how I get credit. Thank you.