Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.
10772012

1995 Saturn: speed manual..2-4-R but acts like its in nuetural

1995 Saturn SL2, 5 speed manual. Appears to be shifting into 2-4-R but acts like it''s in nuetural . Shifts into 1-3 5 ok. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ivan replied 6 years ago.

Hello orgneburgr4. Your Saturn uses 2 shift cables to shift the transmission. Disassemble the shifter boot to gain access the shift cables, where they mount to the shifter. Then have someone go out the trans and look for movement on both cables. Disconnect the cables at both sides and make sure the cables move freely. If not, they are NG. When you order the cables from GM they come as a pair, so you will get both anyway. Good luck

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

If you feel that I've helped you at all, please press accept. That's how I get credit. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've already done what you suggested. The cables are almost new and they are working properly. From outside the transmission, it appears to be shifting. What I was wondering, do the levers outside the transmission operate forks or something inside the transmission to accually do the shifting? Do they break? Can that shifter plate be replaced to eliminate the problem?
Expert:  Ivan replied 6 years ago.

Yes they do move forks within the transmission, and yes they do break. As far as repair, you'll have to remove and disassemble the trans to access the shift forks. You have 2 forks that ride on a shaft. If your cable are moving and the shafts are moving and you don't have action within the trans, your at that point. You can't eliminate the shifter plate, you'll have to diassemble and repair the broken component and reassemble it.

Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.