landrover_guy
landrover_guy, journeyman mechanic
Experience:  18 years current underhood experiance light , line and heavy.all makes
11416077

1997 Jaguar XJ6 L: fuses, I have replaced the replay..fan switch

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Jaguar XJ6 L, and the auxiliary fan will not kick on, thus the car will over heat. I have checked the fuses, I have replaced the replay and the auxiliary fan switch. The fan will still not kick on. Do you have any suggestions as to where I should look next? The auxiliary fan is good, I have already tested it.
Category: Car
Expert:  landrover_guy replied 6 years ago.
if all these things work then your next point will be the radiator , check the radiator temp
from left to right in other words your checking for a clogged radiator if your fan switch is in the cold spot of the radiator it wont turn on. how you do this let it run to temp then shut if off for safety dont put your hands or anything else in the moveing parts.immediatley check to see if the temp is differant from left to right and center
if the temp is off by 20 dgrees then its time to replace the radiator secondly there should be two switches , one for the ac and one for the engine you may have one of those bad. until you are sure both are working. it may still be your smokeing gun
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to landrover_guy's Post: Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX already did check the radiator temp. Everything was fine.
well then if youve checked the radiator from left to right and center your sure that both the fan switches are working and tempature sending unit is the right temp for your car. then the next reasonable step would be to do a gas leak down check on your heads to see if there is any exhaust gas in the coolant..

be sure to make sure the that you have your coolant system fully topped off . .yoou can purchase a head test kit at your local parts store it is a blue dye kit, if it turns yello theres sufficieant gasses in your coolant to point to a head gasket leak