landrover_guy
landrover_guy, journeyman mechanic
Experience:  18 years current underhood experiance light , line and heavy.all makes
11416077

2001 Trooper: 4WD..it clunks terribly when changing gears..restart

After using 4WD in my 2001 Trooper, it clunks terribly when changing gears. This stops when I turn the car off and then restart it. This happened last year also. It seems to go away after a while if I don''t use 4WD. Suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  landrover_guy replied 6 years ago.
it may be as simple as checking and changeing your transfer case fluid to a heavier wieght within oe spec recomendations. your local parts shop will be able to give you your choices depending on what part of the country your in and weather , at this point i usualy change mine every five monthes.
next to check would transfer case chain drive may be starting to stretch without knowing your milage and the type of use you are accustom to i wouldnt be able to make any other suggestions , but the fluid level would be a good start, especialy if you havent changed it in a while that would be a good time to pull your access cover and visualy inspect the chain and bearing componants.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The use of 4WD is limited to about once a year on a 1/2 mile hill in North Carolina. The rest of the mileage is a mix of highway and city and is less than 60K mileage .

The transmission clunking occurs after switching from 4WD to 2WD on level road. (No clunking occurs in 4WD, only 2WD). When this problem occurs (in 2WD), turning off the ignition for a couple seconds and restarting allows the transmission to shift smoothly. Sounds like some sort of electronic problem?
if this unit is standard then you might want to look at fluid as well. if its automatic you could have a valve body issue. but typicly the transfer case is usualy the culprit. i would definately recomend you service the fluids before you get excited about a tear down, isuzu builds a durable transfercase and trans i think u will be suprised at how much of a differance a fluid change will make unless your unit is electricly controlled i wouldnt suspect a valve body malfunction,, if however you unit is solenoid activated you may want to look at the solenoid actuator shaft end and electrical connections. check for warn actuator arm that should be easily removeable a good visual should clear it up.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to landrover_guy's Post: The use of 4WD is limited to about once a year on a 1/2 mile hill in North Carolina. The rest of the mileage is a mix of highway and city and is less than 60K mileage .

complete a visual on the switching system. the shift solenid located on the transfer case
check the the plug clean it with a good cleaning solutin to remove any corrosian

if you have serviced the trans and transfer case, and the problem still lingers then yes
i would say replace the solenoid.
there are only a few things that cause clunk
low or incorrect fluid. bent or missalligned shift pawls bad u joints or mounts or incorrectly addjusted or damaged shifting componants. untill you complete a visual of these things you wont resolve the problem ,of shift clunk ,60 k miles is not a bad number
and by the amount of driveing you do i would have a hard time thinking its a major part failure takeing place.
landrover_guy, journeyman mechanic
Experience: 18 years current underhood experiance light , line and heavy.all makes