Ironmike
Ironmike, ASE Master Tech, L1
Experience:  30 years GM certified, Ford certified
11302663

GMC: Vortec..cyl..down electronically when we would be driving

Customer Question

We have a GMC Jimmy 1996 4.3 Vortec 6 cyl. About 2-3 years ago it started (only in the summer time or when it was hot out) completely shutting down electronically when we would be driving. We would have to throw the car in neutral while still moving and try to start it again. The longer it was driven the more it shut off. We spent a couple of thousand dollars trying to fix it. Numerous mechanics tried and said that it had to be known to GM but was not finding any info on it. We have other vehicles now but need 4wd in the winter. So it just sits here from spring to fall because we can''t sell it knowing the problem and use it in the winter. We would really appreciate any help to find a solution. thank you. Ohio
Category: Car
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-what is the vehicle loosing? It may be hard but to properly diagnose a problem like you are having, but we need to know what system is failing. Are we loosing fuel,spark or power to the whole vehicle? Most Techs would say tow it or bring the vehicle in when it won't start.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Ironmike, ASE Master Tech, L1
Experience: 30 years GM certified, Ford certified
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have not been the one in it in a long time but if I remeber right it loses complete power to the whole vehicle as if you had just got in and not turned the ignition on yet. You are just coasting at the speed you were traveling and the steering is only free because the key was still on. No power, engine quits,and you have to completely throw it in neutral,try to get it to turn over again,sometimes pumping the gas and sometimes shut the key off and try again and if that doesn't work-coast off the road and try again. And once this starts it just keeps shuting off over and over again until you can park it for a good while. Usually we would try not to drive it again for a day. Once it would start shuting off the next time you were in it- it happened the same way with continued frequency. My husband is not here to give me additional info. There had been some moisture in the fuel tank once that was addressed when looking for this problem. Said it was because of the material the tank is made of made some condensation but shouldn't have made that much.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 years ago.

GreetingsCustomer

Cleaned spider intake valve ?I don't like that, there is a tsb on these injector poppets(spider). They stick and some stay open, mostly they stay closed. I seen this as a stalling ,running problem. I am guessing , with out more information that is all we can do. We need to know what we are missing.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My husband said it was a spider injector valve. But that may not of had any thing to do with it either. There was never a time it wouldn't start. It would just shut completely off like the entire car had not been running at all. You seem to have the same answers that all the other mechanics have had who were even working on it. Just shake their heads and not knowing what to try next and these were very good mechanics. I had a man tell me there was an article in Parade magazine about a month ago with a lawsuit/notice about either blazers or jimmys of that age range that had a problem with some type of temperature something or other and I've been trying to find it because it only happens when it is hot out and the difference in the temperature to begin with may just be enough to cause the problem to show up. I appreciate your effort but sorry you could not help.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 years ago.
Customer

I will keep trying for you. Do you have a tilt steering wheel. I have seen steering columns that are very loose cause the ignition switch rod to move enough to shut the car off like turning the key.The ignition system is another place to go. Not uncommon for the Ignition module or crank sensor to shut down from heat when the vehicle has a lot of miles. I have seen many make and model GM's do this. We need to see what is lost when it shuts down. I would go right to a plug wire and pop a screw driver in the end of it, hold it next to ground and get some one to crank the engine. Make sure you are not grounded, or ouch. If you think it's ignition we need to catch it when is doesn't work.

keep trying Mike