YourMechanix
YourMechanix, Automotive Repair Shop Owner
Experience:  20 Years General Automotive Experience - 5 Years As An Owner
10635068

It does, the car runs very rough under 40 mph..belts

We have a 1995 MVP and the hold like keeps coming on and when it does, the car runs very rough under 40 mph. We just bought the car and had all the belts replaced, they initially used the wrong belts and then put the correct ones on. Then it kept doing the same thing, so they said it was the alternator...took it to a shop and the guy said the alternator was fine, but the pulley was messed up. Got that fixed...guess what, hold light still comes on and runs rough. HELP
Category: Car
Expert:  YourMechanix replied 6 years ago.

There should be a switch on the shift lever that when pushed will activate the "hold" feature. This action changes the shift pattern of the transmission for towing, going down steep grades, etc. Depending on what gear you have the shifter in when the button is pushed you get the following: When button is pressed while shifter is in "D" the vehicle will shift from 1st-2nd and 2nd to 3rd from a stop but will remain in 3rd gear after that. When button is pressed while shifter is in "L" or "S" the vehicle will remain in that gear and will not shift out. All that said, are you able to push this button (while in any gear - not park or neutral) and make the light go off?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to YourMechanix's Post: The hold light just keeps blinking and blinking, you can't make it go off.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I know what the hold button is for, why does it keep blinking and you can't push the button to make it go off?
A good transmission shop will be able to diagnose your problem for you. It could be an issue with the switch itself (which would be the least expensive repair) or with the TCM (transmission control module) which would be rather expensive. You might want to call several reputable shops and find out if they charge to do a computer diagnostic scan. We don't, but that isn't always the case. Good luck.
Experience: 20 Years General Automotive Experience - 5 Years As An Owner
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to YourMechanix's Post: I knew all that information already, how was this helpful.