ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience on imports and domestics. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
907259

1997 pontiac grand prix: transmission problems..cars and year models

i have a 1997 pontiac grand prix, there is some transmission problems, my question is it has a 4t60e 3800, 3.8 L, do you know what cars and year models are interchangeable with this model, it does not have the supercharger.

That transmission os the same old overdrive transmission used in most ALL GM front wheel drive vehicles. They are literally in almost everything. You shouldn't have a problem AT ALL finding one in a salvage yard.

4T60-E came out about 91.they were used in nearly all FWD gm cars and vans till 98. The 4T60-E can be identified by the modulator and the fact it does not use a tv cable.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to ase_master327's Post: What about the gear shift ratio, are they all the same? We are wanting to change out the whole trasmission/rear end, i thik it is called a transaxle(right). Anyway, will there be any problems with the ratio on these transmissions?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will accept after you answer my reply if you would please i am happy with your response but need to know if there will be ratio problems

Sorry it took a feww minutes to get back to you, it got a little busy there.

ANYWAYS...

I wouldn't get one out of a van to put in the car, those ratios may be a little different. But pretty much stick to midsize FWD car with a V6, and you will be JUST fine.

4 cylinders will have different torque converters that will let the engine rev a little higher so it build little more power.