OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic

2004 chevy silverado 1500: the fuel gauge..trailer..braking..fuel tank

2004 chevy silverado 1500, the fuel gauge stopped working after I put a trailer braking system in. Where is the fuse for the fuel tank gauge. It doesn''t say which one to replace. I wanted to check that one first before I replace the fuel tank.
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

There is no fuse for the gas gauge. Also the whole gas tank does not need to be replaced. It sounds like the fuel sending unit has gone bad. The fuel sending unit is a part of the fuel pump assembly, it is the handle on the front bottom of this picutre:

You can buy it at the dealer and replace just the fuel sending unit rather than the tank or the whole pump.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to OnlineMechanic's Post: Thank you for the answer, I will check into this and maybe it can get fixed. That solved the fuse box issue. Does this problem happen all the time?
Happens frequently actually.