Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION

tbi chevy 5.7 valve lash adjustment procedure.

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.

Here is what I have for that procedure. Feel free to contact me with any questions! Good luck!

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the engine cover.

3. Remove the rocker arm covers.

4. To prepare the engine for valve adjustment, rotate the crankshaft until the mark on the damper pulley aligns with the 0 degree mark on the timing plate and the No. 1 piston is on its compression stroke. You will know the No. 1 piston is on its compression stroke because both the intake and exhaust valves will remain closed as the crankshaft damper mark approaches the timing scale.

5. Another method to tell when the piston is coming up on the compression stroke is by removing the spark plug and placing your thumb over the hole; you will feel the air being forced out of the spark plug hole. Stop turning the crankshaft when the TDC timing mark on the crankshaft pulley is directly aligned with the timing mark pointer or the zero mark on the scale.
  6. With the engine on the compression stroke, adjust the exhaust valves of cylinders No. 1, 3, 4 and 8 and the intake valves of cylinders No. 1, 2, 5 and 7 by performing the following procedures:

1. Back out the adjusting nut until lash can be felt at the pushrod.

2. While rotating the pushrod, turn the adjusting nut inward until all the lash is removed.

3. When the play has disappeared, turn the adjusting nut inward 1 additional turn.

7. Rotate the crankshaft 1 complete revolution and align the mark on the damper pulley with the 0 degree mark on the timing plate; the engine is now positioned on the No. 6 firing position. This time the No. 6 cylinder valves remain closed as the timing mark approaches the scale. Adjust the exhaust valves of cylinder No. 2, 5, 6 and 7 and the intake valves of cylinders No. 3, 4, 6 and 8 by performing the following procedures:

8. Install the rocker arm covers.

9. Connect the negative battery cable, and verify that there are no leaks.

10. Turn the engine OFF, then install the engine cover. You may wish to allow the engine to cool first, as you will be working near hot components.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what size feeler guage do i use 4 intake and which do i use for exhaust? thank you for a quick response.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
There is no need for a feeler on this setup. What you will need to do is simply get each lifter in the positions identified above. At this point you will simply tighten the rocker arm down until you cannot spin the pushrod with your fingers. At this point you will want to turn the nut on the rocker aduster one full turn. This will set the lifter in the correct position. Feel free to contact me with any further questions!