OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic
9051600

Where is the fuel filter on a 2004 kia rio. I have ...

Customer Question

Where is the fuel filter on a 2004 kia rio. I have several answers that say it is on the driver''side by the rear wheel. I can''t locate it. Is it on top of the gas tank, do you have to drop the gas tank to access it?
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Components

• Relieve the fuel system pressure.

• Disconnect the negative battery cable.

• Remove the rear seat retainers (clips or catches) and rear seat cushion.

• Disconnect the harness connector from fuel sender.

• Remove the fuel tank module screws and the fuel sender and filter.

• Installation is the reverse of the remove procedure.

• Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    I looked for it according to the diagram you sent. I don't see it on the side of the gas tank. Do I have to drop the gas tank? It wasn't real clear in your answer. Also, I have only one gas line that goes to my fuel pump (sender)where the diagram shows two.
    You go from the top, remove the seats and the bottom part of the seats. Then remove the fuel tank top (not the whole tank) , if you can get it seperate you may have to pull the whole pump.
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    I have a hole in the body underneath the rear seat that allows me to pull the fuel pump out which I did. The gas tank top is not accessible from there. I asked a Kia mechanic several years ago I he said the entire gas tank had to be dropped. I starting to think he was right. Any further ideas?
    When you took out the pump was the filter not attached to the two pipes that run off the top of the assembly?
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    No, and there is only one gas line that runs off the top of the pump assembly. The rest of the connections are electrical. That was what was confusing me about the diagram. it shows two lines off the top of the assembly, but I have only one. Is the filter inside the gas tank?
    Okay what's the 8th vin number of your vin code?
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    My VIN number is XXXXX

Hah! I think I found the problem. Your's is not the typical 1.6 it's the one with 8th vin a (5). See blow.

1.5L, 1.6L (VIN 5), 1.8L And 2.4L Engines

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.

2. Relieve the fuel system pressure.

3. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

4. Disconnect the fuel lines from both ends of the fuel filter. Plug the lines to prevent leakage.

5. Remove the bracket retaining nuts and bolts, as necessary.

6. Remove the filter and the mounting bracket.

Exploded view of the fuel system-1engine

Exploded view of the fuel system-1.8L engine

Click to Enlarge
      Exploded view of the fuel system-1.5L and 1(VIN 5) engine

Exploded view of the fuel system-1.5L and 1.6L (VIN 5) engine

Click to Enlarge
      Fuel filter location-2engine

Fuel filter location

Click to Enlarge

To install:

1. Install the filter in the mounting bracket.

2. Connect the fuel lines to the filter.

3. Install the bracket nuts and tighten to 9.5 ft. lbs. (13 Nm) for 1.5L, 1.6L, 1.8L and 2.0L engines. For 2.4L engines, torque the nuts to 18-25 ft. lbs. (25-35 Nm).

4. Connect the negative battery cable.

5. Run the engine and check for any fuel leaks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    I can't see the fuel filter anywhere underneath the car, the gas tank butts up against the frame on the driver's side of the car, there is no room for the filter, I still don't get it. The third picture shown isn't what my car is doing. I traced the gas lines on one of them goes to the fuel rail and the other goes to what appears to be a filter in the engine compartment with two connections on top. Do I have a filter system with a low pressure filter inside the fuel filter and a high pressure filter in the engine compartment?

Does the filter inside the engine compartment have two on the top and one on the bottom? Total of 3 connections?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    No, just two on the top.
    I am puzzled, I will opt out and open this question to other experts who may know the answer to this. You will not be charged for my assistence. Sorry I could not come to the bottom of this.