Ms. Wrench
Ms. Wrench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician-10 yrs., Service Writer-Foreign, Domestic & Fleet, Alternative Fuel Expert

03 chevy cavalier spark plug replacement

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Ms. Wrench replied 5 years ago.

This should be the information you need, let me know if you need more assistance.

Thanks for using JA

Ms Wrench

Disconnect the negative battery cable, and if the vehicle has been run recently, allow the engine to thoroughly cool.

• On the 2.2L engine:
  • Carefully twist the spark plug wire boot to loosen it, then pull upward and remove the boot from the plug. Be sure to pull on the boot and not on the wire, otherwise the connector located inside the boot may become separated.

• Using compressed air, blow any water or debris from the spark plug well to assure that no harmful contaminants are allowed to enter the combustion chamber when the spark plug is removed. If compressed air is not available, use a rag or a brush to clean the area. NOTE Remove the spark plugs when the engine is cold, if possible, to prevent damage to the threads. If removal of the plugs is difficult, apply a few drops of penetrating oil or silicone spray to the area around the base of the plug, and allow it a few minutes to work.
  • Using a spark plug socket that is equipped with a rubber insert to properly hold the plug, turn the spark plug counterclockwise to loosen and remove the spark plug from the bore. WARNING Be sure not to use a flexible extension on the socket. Use of a flexible extension may allow a shear force to be applied to the plug. A shear force could break the plug off in the cylinder head, leading to costly and frustrating repairs.
  • Click image to see an enlarged viewTwist and pull the spark plug wire from the spark plug Click image to see an enlarged viewAlways use a special spark plug socket with a rubber insert to remove the spark plugs. A 5/8 socket is required on most of the vehicles covered by this manual Click image to see an enlarged viewUse a ratchet and an appropriate extension if necessary to loosen the spark plugs Click image to see an enlarged viewWhen the plug is loosened all the way, the rubber insert in the socket will hold the plug, however, use your finger to hold the plug in until it is out of the engine compartment Click image to see an enlarged viewInspect the spark plugs upon removal and adjust the gap or replace as necessary

To install:

1. Inspect the spark plug boot for tears or damage. If a damaged boot is found, the spark plug wire must be replaced.
    2. Using a wire feeler gauge, check and adjust the spark plug gap. When using a gauge, the proper size should pass between the electrodes with a slight drag. The next larger size should not be able to pass while the next smaller size should pass freely.
    3. Carefully thread the plug into the bore by hand. If resistance is felt before the plug is almost completely threaded, back the plug out and begin threading again. In small, hard to reach areas, an old spark plug wire and boot could be used as a threading tool. The boot will hold the plug while you twist the end of the wire and the wire is supple enough to twist before it would allow the plug to crossthread. WARNING Do not use the spark plug socket to thread the plugs. Always carefully thread the plug by hand or using an old plug wire to prevent the possibility of crossthreading and damaging the cylinder head bore.
    4. Carefully tighten the spark plug. If the plug you are installing is equipped with a crush washer, seat the plug, then tighten about 1/4 turn to crush the washer. If you are installing a tapered seat plug, tighten the plug to specifications provided by the vehicle or plug manufacturer.
    5. Apply a small amount of silicone dielectric compound to the end of the spark plug lead or inside the spark plug boot to prevent sticking, then install the boot to the spark plug and push until it clicks into place. The click may be felt or heard, then gently pull back on the boot to assure proper contact.

.