GM-Frank
GM-Frank, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  37 Years Automotive Diagnosis & Repair. Experience with all makes and models..
10184299

454 chevy: Fan belts routing for a 1985 one ton chevy..v

Customer Question

Fan belts routing for a 1985 one ton chevy with a 454 chevy engine with air and polution pump using v belts.
Category: Car
Expert:  GM-Frank replied 6 years ago.

Hello Old_timer2,

There is actually an old technical bulletin on the belts for your 1 ton 454cu.in.

Number:86-165

Section:3B

Date: Sept. 1986 Subject: POWER STEERING/A.I.R. PUMP BELT TENSIONING AJUSTMENT Model and Year: 1985-86 C,K,P, 20-30 SERIES TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH 7.4L 454 C.I.D. (VIN CODE W) ENGINES AND H5D HEAVY DUTY FEDERAL EMISSIONS TO: XXXXX XXXXX DEALERS

Some power steering pumps on 1985-86 C,K,P, 20-30 series trucks equipped with 7.4L (454) engines and H5D heavy duty Federal Emissions may leak steering fluid. Power steering pump leakage on these models may be attributed to the A.I.R. pump belt tension being too tight. Excessive tension causes an increased load on the bushing and seal of the power steering pump which may eventually result in a leaky pump. To correct this condition, the tension of the single drive belt between the A.I.R. pump and power steering pump should be tightened to 250 Newtons, instead of 650 Newtons as specified in the Service Manual. The proper procedure for tensioning this belt is outlined below. Power steering pumps which exhibit fluid leakage at front seal should be replaced.

graphic

On some 1985 models without air conditioning (RPO C60 and C69), a drive belt was also incorrectly installed in the No, 1 track (Figure 1) during production. With this belt installed, it restricts the movement of the power steering pump. The pump is used for adjusting the tension of the belts in the No. 2 and No. 3 tracks. This lack of adjustment requires excessive tension to be placed on the power steering pump belt in order to adjust the other belts to their proper tensions. Because of the restrictions that the belt in the No. 1 track causes, it MUST be removed and discarded. With this belt removed, the normal operations of the engine will not be affected.

BELT TENSION ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE

1.Loosen the A.I.R. pump pivot and adjustment bolts.

2.Place a belt tension gauge, J-23600-B, or equivalent, midway in the drive belt No. 4 (Figure 2).
3.Adjust No. 4 drive belt so that the tension on the belt is 250 Newtons (56 pounds).

4.Finger tighten the two A.I.R. pump bolts, while maintaining belt tension.

5.Torque the A.I.R. pump pivot and adjustment bolts to 33 N-m (24 ft.lbs.).

6.Inspect the belt tension and remove belt tension gauge.

graphic

I hope this is the information you are looking for.

Have a Great Day

Frank