Rich
Rich, Technician
Experience:  ase certified, mitsubishi certified, kia certified and landrover certified technician

2000 cadillac deville: radiator hose..car overheated..water pump

2000 cadillac deville radiator hose busted and car overheated i am trying to determine why and looking for location of the water pump. when i attempt to add water to the system it just stays in the overflow tank does this indicate bad water pump? ant type of helpful procedure for testing this theroy would help.
Category: Car
Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.

Hi Sir,

It is more likely you have a stuck thermostat. I included the instructions for that with this post. Also you could use this as a test for the water pump by removing the thermostat and checking to make sure there is flow in the system by running the engine and see if top and bottom hoses get warm and if so just replace the thermostat. I will also include the instructions for the water pump to save you from having to post another question and save you a few dollars.

Removal & Installation

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain the coolant.
  3. Remove the air intake duct.
  4. Disconnect the radiator hose
  5. Remove the thermostat housing.
  6. Remove the thermostat.
  7. Clean all sealing surfaces. Click image to see an enlarged viewThermostat and housing-typical

To install:

1. Install the thermostat.
  2. Install the thermostat housing using a new gasket.
  3. Install the thermostat housing bolts and tighten as follows:
    1. 1999 models: 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm)
    2. 2000-05 models: 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
  4. Connect the radiator hose.
  5. Install the air intake duct.
  6. Refill the coolant.
  7. Connect the negative battery cable.
  8. Start the engine and check for leaks.

This is the water pump.

Removal & Installation

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
  2. Drain the coolant.
  3. Remove or disconnect the following:
    • Negative battery cable
    • Upper fill panel, if equipped
    • AIR injection control valve, if equipped
    • Air cleaner
    • Oil level indicator tube nut, if necessary
    • Water pump belt cover
    • Water pump drive belt
    • Lower radiator hose
    • Thermostat bypass hose from the coolant inlet housing
    • Water pump cover
  4. Remove the water pump by rotating it clockwise using special Tool J 38816-1A (water pump remover/installer).

To install:

1. Install the water pump with a new O-ring, by turning it counterclockwise using the special tool, until it stops. Torque the water pump to 73 ft. lbs. (100 Nm). Click image to see an enlarged view To ensure proper operation, be sure to install a new O-ring
  2. Install or connect the following:
    • Water pump cover. Torque the bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
    • Lower radiator hose
    • Thermostat bypass hose to the coolant inlet housing
    • Water pump drive belt
    • Water pump belt cover
    • Air cleaner
    • Upper fill panel, if equipped
    • Negative battery cable
  3. Refill and bleed the cooling system.
  4. Run the engine and check for leaks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where are these items located when standing in front of the car
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Rich's Post: where are these items located when standing in front of the car
Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.
The waterpump is driven by the belts about mid way down on the engine. The thermostat housing as attatched to the radiator hose. Just follow the hose to the engine.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is the water pump located by the single belt on the drivers side of the car or is it on the passenger side
Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.
The pump should be on passenger side sir,
Rich, Technician
Experience: ase certified, mitsubishi certified, kia certified and landrover certified technician