Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.

I have a 2004 Kia Optima. How do I replace the power ...

I have a 2004 Kia Optima. How do I replace the power steering hose? Also when we turn on the AC we start to hear a high pitched noise, any ideas to what this could be?

Do you hear the high pitch noise inside the interior or out under the hood?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Ivan's Post: I hear the noise both under the hood and while in the car. The power steering leak and the AC noise both happened around the same time. I'm not sure if they are related or if they're just a coincidence. I got a AC recharger from walmart thinking that may be the problem however the tester said the PSI was in the red which recommended getting professional help.
Well, I'm going to tell you the procedure for replacing the Power steering pressure hose. I recommend fixing the leak, ensuring the belt is not covered in power steering fluid and see what happens after filling the system with fluid. If you could tell be whether your car is a 4 cyl. or a 6 cyl, I'll be able to tell you the procedure. Also i'm assuming this is the pressure hose, you need to replace.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Ivan's Post: it is a 4cyl. I believe it is the pressure hose. It is the thicker diameter hose right above the pulley on the passenger side. It is attached to a metal fitting on both sides.

1. Drain the power steering fluid.
  2. Disconnect the return hose and the suction hose from the oil reservoir.
  3. Remove the flare nut of pressure hose.
  4. Remove the return tube and rubber hose together with the flare nut and O-ring.
  5. Remove the cooler tube.

Here is the procedure. It very simple in that there are very few items to remove. The hardest thing for you is disconnecting the lines from the rack and pinion. Take your time and keep your patience. Look athe diagram and you can see that the line goes all the way from the pump to the rack. Be patient and make sure the orings don't get damaged when reassembling. Also thread the fittings by hand, then tighten. You don't want to damage the threads on the rack or the pump. Good luck. If you still have noise when your done, reach out to me and I'll help you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I cant seem to see the diagram. The image comes up broken.

Try this.