Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

Ive got a 2003 Mazdaspeed protege showing a check

I''ve got a 2003 Mazdaspeed protege showing a check engine light. Had a diagnostic ran on it and said system was running lean. It was still running fine until today. It will run fine, no hesitation or stuttering unit you begin to decelerate(ie: coming to a stop), then it can''t hold an idle and shuts off. turns back on just fine until the next stop. I was told it could be a possible vacuum leak. Where should I begin looking?-----Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
Hi there!To check for a vaccum leak,start by spraying carb cleaner around the intake manifold and any vaccum lines you can see.Do this while the car is running and the rpms will normally increase.I have also seen the lean condition caused by a faulty mass air flow sensor.Try unplugging it and see if the car idles better.When you unplug it,it will cause the check engine light to come on.If the car runs better I would go with the mass air flow.Hope this helps!Thansk