Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

Where is the fuel relay located on my 2001 PT Cruiser

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Hi there!So the car will not crank at all?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to carguy1's Post: The car will crank but will not start. I can crank it until the battery will go dead but I don't want to do that.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
OK.I understand that.Have you checked for spark?Or fuel? Sometimes you can spray carb cleaner into the intake and if the car starts for a couple of seconds you know it is a fuel problem.If it does not start then it could be a spark problem.Try the carb cleaner test and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My husband sprayed something into the car and it sputtered for a few seconds but died. He tried this a couple of times and the same thing kept happening.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
OK.That is good.It sounds like we have spark.The fuel pump relay should be in the power distribution box under the hood.He may have to get under the car and test the wiring to the fuel pump itself to see if he is getting any power.It is not uncommon for the fuel modules to go out on these.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience: 25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay I will give him this information. I will be back to let you know what happens.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
OK.It also looks like fuse #11 in the fuse box provides power for the fuel pump relay.Have him check fuse # XXXXX as well just to be sure.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Oh my -- we did change the fuse and the fuel relay --- still no action. Any suggestions on where to go next? ugh :(
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

OK.Here's the thing.Chrysler uses what they call an ASD relay.The asd or auto shut down relay kills the fuel pump when there is another type of problem.Typically if you lose the signal from the cam or crank position sensors this relay will turn the system off.If you have a volt meter I can send you the test info for both the cam and the crank sensors.If one of them has gone bad then it could be shutting the relay down.Here is the info.

Connector Pinouts
Click image to see an enlarged view

1GY/PK (1.6L)Camshaft Position Sensor 5 Volt Supply
1OR (Except 1.6L)5 Volt Supply
2TN/YL (1.6L)Camshaft Position Sensor Signal
2BK/LB (Except 1.6L)Sensor Ground 1
3BR/GY (1.6L)Camshaft Position Sensor Ground
3TN/YL (Except 1.6L)CMP Signal

PT Cruiser CMP Sensor Connector Pinout

Connector Pinouts
Click image to see an enlarged view

1BR/WT (1.6L)Crankshaft Position Sensor Ground
1OR (Except 1.6L)5 Volt Supply
2GY/BK (1.6L)Crankshaft Position Sensor Signal
2BK/LB (Except 1.6L)Sensor Ground 1
3OR (1.6L)Crankshaft Position Sensor 5 Volt Supply
3GY/BK (Except 1.6L)CKP Signal

CKP Sensor