Tristan Franklin
Tristan Franklin, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED
Experience:  8yrs. exp. engine repair performance brakes electrical air condition
10186415

2003 Cavalier: a right side front CV joint..mechanical..repair shop

Is replacing a right side front CV joint on a 2003 Cavalier something a person with above average mechanical skills can complete? If not how much would a repair cost at a repair shop. Thanks in advance
Category: Car
Expert:  Tristan Franklin replied 6 years ago.

take it to a shop because for a ameature you will need the special tool (puller and slide hammer) to do the job safely. it's should not cost more than $100 dollars in labor at a shop the dealer about $200. good luck. i hope i helped and please accept if satisfied. thanks T-MAN

Required

J 2619-01 Slide Hammer
J 28733-B Front Hub Spindle Remover
J 29794 Axle Shaft Remover Extension
J 33008-A Axle Shaft Puller

Removal Procedure

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
  2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
    Object Number: 141983  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  3. Insert a drift (1) into the rotor and against the caliper to prevent the rotor from turning.
  4. Remove the wheel drive shaft nut (2) and the washer.
  5. Disconnect the outer tie rod end from the steering knuckle; do NOT loosen the tie rod end jam nut. Refer to Rack and Pinion Outer Tie Rod End Replacement in Power Steering System.
  6. Remove the lower ball joint from the steering knuckle. Refer to Lower Control Arm Ball Joint Replacement in Front Suspension.

Important: Ensure that the wheel speed sensor wiring harness is repositioned away from the ball joint after disconnecting the electrical connector from the sensor.

7. Disconnect the electrical connector from the wheel speed sensor and reposition the wiring harness away from the ball joint.
  8. Remove the stabilizer link from the lower control arm. Refer to Stabilizer Shaft Link Replacement in Front Suspension.
    Object Number: 40253  Size: SH
  9. Install the J 28733-B on to the wheel hub and secure with wheel nuts.

Important: Ensure to support the wheel drive shaft until it is fully removed from the vehicle.

10. Using the J 28733-B , disengage the wheel drive shaft splines from the hub and bearing assembly.
    Object Number: 500285  Size: SH

Important: Ensure to bottom out the threads as much as possible while assembling the J 33008-A , the J 29794 and theJ 2619-01 .

11. Assemble theJ 33008-A , the J 29794 and theJ 2619-01 .
  12. Using the J 33008-A , J 29794 and theJ 2619-01 , disengage the wheel drive shaft from the transaxle.
  13. Remove the wheel drive shaft from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 189013  Size: SH
  1. Install the wheel drive shaft (2) to the transaxle (1).
    Object Number: 442471  Size: SH
  2. Verify that the wheel drive shaft is properly engaged to the transaxle by grasping the inner tripod housing and pulling outward. Do not pull on the wheel drive shaft bar. The wheel drive shaft will remain firmly in place when properly engaged.
  3. Install the wheel drive shaft (1) to the hub and bearing assembly (2).
  4. Install the lower ball joint to the steering knuckle. Refer to Lower Control Arm Ball Joint Replacement in Front Suspension.
  5. Install the stabilizer link. Refer to Stabilizer Shaft Link Replacement in Front Suspension.
  6. Install the wheel speed sensor harness into position and connect the electrical connector to the sensor.
  7. Connect the outer tie rod end to the steering knuckle. Refer to Rack and Pinion Outer Tie Rod End Replacement in Power Steering System.
    Object Number: 141983  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

8. Install the washer and the new drive axle nut (2).

Insert a drift (1) into the rotor and against the caliper in order to prevent the rotor from turning.

Tighten
    Tighten the drive axle nut to 200 N·m (148 lb ft).

9. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
  10. Lower the vehicle.
Tristan Franklin, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED
Experience: 8yrs. exp. engine repair performance brakes electrical air condition