Rich
Rich, Technician
Experience:  ase certified, mitsubishi certified, kia certified and landrover certified technician
10415458

car starts with a remote starter but not with a key

Customer Question

i have to put the key in the on position then press the remote start button. the car starts then i have to turn the key all the way to keep it running. When i try to turn the key without using the remote starter it doesn''t crank at all it just turns on the cars elctronics.
Category: Car
Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.

Hi Malice,

What it sounds like is the wiring under the dash. The remote starting module is wired into the ignition switch wires under the dash and most of the installers use a but (crimp) connector and over time this comes loose. What you need to do is go under the dash and locate where they put the module, it is usually near the steering column, and the trace back the wires to find the one that is tied into the ignition switch wire. I can`t tell you which wires because there are so many different systems on the market. I looked up the wire diagram and have included it. It looks like the wire coming off the ignition switch you will be looking for is yellow.

Rich, Technician
Experience: ase certified, mitsubishi certified, kia certified and landrover certified technician
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok i will try it and see if it works. do i have to take the steering column off to get to the wires. i have minimal auto experience but am able to learn as i go.
Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.
I don`t know how the installer put this in but I hjave not had to remove the column to access the wires. You may have to remove some trim panels but I don`t think the column.I hope the wire diagram helps some too. I actually had this same problem with my wifes car. It would start only with the remote but only get lights and electrical but no crank with the key.
Rich, Technician
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is a bulldog security system it is the model in these classes,RS1100 RS1100E RS1200E Deluxe 12 Deluxe 22 ( can't remember which one exactly. I'm currently trying to locate the wire now, the wires are visible underneath the steering wheel.
Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.
You are on the right track. The yellow wire coming off the ignition switch should be going into the module. And that is the connection you need to check.
Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.

Hi Malice, do not click accept or you will be paying again, just click on reply and thank you for the bonus.

Rich

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Rich's Post: ok i've located the wires, i see two yellow wires and i believe all the wires are taped together so it is highly possible that it cam loose. i bought the car from a private seller and he must of put it in himself if tape is used. i'm a bit confused on the diagram for the wires as i'm not to savvy with wiring. i'm going to reconnect the two yellow wires and see if it works. i disconnected the battery(am i suppose to, i assume so i don't get shocked or anything?
Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.
Yes a good idea to disconnect the battery. let me know if you need more help. The wire should have power when you turn the key to the start position.Also that circut is fused so if you still have a problem make sure the fuse did not blow. I think it was fuse 11. In any case I think it is labeled ignition.