John, Master Automotive Technician
Experience:  ASE A1-A8 & L1 Master GM Tech 40 years experience
6408229

94 Buick roadmaster: power antenna and hvac blower fan quit..Fuses

Customer Question

94 Buick Roadmaster; power antenna and hvac blower fan quit at the same time today. Fuses are ok. Any thoughts?
Category: Car
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Test for voltage at each component with a 12 volt test lamp.Your blower motor a/c control switch passes voltage from there to the blower resistor & then to the motor.Your problem is probably a failed blower motor or blower resistor.The motor can be tested with a 12 volt fused jumper connector to the positive at the motor.Your power antenna can be tested the same way.The signal to run the power antenna comes from the radio & then goes to the antenna relay (behind the LH side of the instrument panel).The problem is usually the antenna motor failed.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to John's Post: I wondered what connection between the blower and antenna might be.

Yes, testing @ each component is the initial diagnostic step, but not very expansive or helpful in a connection between the 2, so I didn't accept the answer. Thanks for trying though.

FYI: The antenna started working the next morning (10-15 car restarts later). I took the wagon to a shop and they found a broken tab in the blower module. Not available on a weekend. I pressed the connector into the broken stub and held it with rubber-bands and a small piece of ducttape. Reinstalled into the dash so the heatsink would be in the air flow and let it run for a few minutes. Came back to find the module on fire on the floor mat, having burned loose from the dash along with several wires. I may not be cut out for this DIY stuff.
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
Ok