OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic

How do you access the power window motor on a 1997 Saturn SC ...

How do you access the power window motor on the passenger side of a 1997 Saturn SC1
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

The window motor is attached to the regulator by rivets which will need to be knocked out to be able to lift the window.

Removal & Installation

1. Remove the outer door panel assembly. Refer to the sub-procedure under Door Locks, earlier in this section.

2. For rear doors, loosen the bottom fastener of the rear door stationary window assembly, in order to provide clearance, then apply tape to the lower half of the outboard exposed portion of the stationary window channel. The tape must be applied in order to prevent damage to the paint surface.

3. Lower the door glass, then use SA9148B, or an equivalent tool, to remove the glass nuts. Push the glass upward and rotate slightly, then remove the glass from the vehicle.

4. If the regulator is also to be removed, proceed as follows:

1. Remove the inner door trim panel. Refer to the procedure earlier in this section.

2. If applicable, unplug the wiring harness from the power regulator.

3. Except for the rear door, remove the regulator cam bolts.

4. Drill out the regulator rivets and remove the regulator from the vehicle.

To install:

1. If removed, install the regulator to the door assembly:

1. Position the regulator to the door and secure using rivets.

2. Except for the rear door, install the cam bolts.

3. If applicable, connect the wiring harness to the regulator.

4. Install the inner door trim panel to the vehicle.

2. Install the door glass into the door and over the regulator studs.

3. Install the glass nuts using tool SA9148B, or equivalent.

4. Check the door glass for proper operation and alignment.

5. If necessary, adjust the glass alignment. For rear doors, fore/aft adjustments are made after loosening the "B'' bolts, while in/out adjustments are made when the "A'' bolts are loosened.

6. Except for the rear doors, glass which is not running parallel to the door header may be adjusted after loosening the inner panel cam attachment bolts and adjusting the cam. If the glass is floating in the opening, lower the glass 3/4 downward, loosen the front guide fasteners, push the glass rearward to seat it in the rear channel, then bring the front glass guide back to the front edge of the glass. Apply a light finger pressure on the guide and tighten the fasteners.

7. Once the glass has been properly adjusted and is operating smoothly, install the outer door panel assembly.

Remove the glass nuts using a suitable tool-front door shown

Click to Enlarge
Exploded view of the regulator mounting-except rear door

Click to Enlarge
Exploded view of the rear door regulator mounting

Click to Enlarge
Adjustments of rear door glass are made after loosening the "A'' or "B'' bolts

Click to Enlarge
  1. Remove the regulator from the door assembly. Refer to the procedure earlier in this section.

2. Except for the rear doors, drill a hole through the regulator sector gear and backplate. Install the bolt and nut to lock the sector gear in position. Be careful not to drill a hole closer than 7/16 in. (11mm) from the edge of the sector. Also, do not drill through the lift arm attaching portion of the sector gear, or the joint integrity will be jeopardized.

3. Drill out the ends of the motor attaching rivets using a 1/4 in. bit.

4. Remove the motor and the remaining portions of the rivets from the regulator. Except for the rear doors, one rivet will not be accessible until assembly.

To install:

1. Position the new motor to the regulator. With the aid of an assistant, install new rivets by collapsing or crushing the rivet ends using a ball peen hammer.

2. Except for the rear doors, once two of the three rivets have been installed, remove the bolt securing the sector gear to the backplate, then use an appropriate electrical source (such as the vehicle's window motor harness) to rotate the regulator, providing access to the remaining rivet.

3. Except for the rear doors, use a flat nosed rotary file to grind off one sector gear tooth from the side which does not contact the driven gear. This is necessary to reach the remaining rivet. Remove the old rivet, then install the remaining new rivet.

4. Install the regulator to the door assembly.

Regulator and motor assembly-except rear doors

Click to Enlarge
Secure the rivets by collapsing the rivet ends using a ball peen hammer

Click to Enlarge
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to OnlineMechanic's Post: How do you remove the outer door panel assembly?
That is what you refer to as the inner door panel. They call it outer in the instructions.
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience: Mechanic