autotech155, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  29 years ,drivability brakes ,a/c,trans repair,engine repair

Isuzu Trooper: fuel filter, air filter..fuel injector..oil change

Customer Question

Hi, I have an ''89 Isuzu Trooper that recently started to give me starting problems. We changed spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, fuel injector clean, oil change, but it still takes about 3 minutes to start it where it won''t cut. It turns over, and cuts several times and sounds pretty eratic -sputtering like a Harley Davidson. Then it finally clears up and runs fine as if nothing is wrong and generally will start right up again after that with no problem. Once it cools down though, you have to go through the same ritual again though. Do you have an idea of what could cause this??
Category: Car
Expert:  autotech155 replied 8 years ago.
Hwello welcome to JA, I would do a fuel pressure test and check and see if the fuel pressure bleeds down after a few min with the gauge on it if it dos the valve in the pump could be bad and causing the vechical to start hard. Eric
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to autotech155's Post: We had the fuel pressured checked. it read as 35-39 lbs of pressure. The technician checking the car said that was an acceptalbe reading.

thanks if you can provide more information.
Ok but does the fuel pressure hold pressure after you shut the key off or does it blled off right away? Eric
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks. We'll check on that as soon as we can. I'd like to add another analysis: We put $40 of Brother's gas in the car the day before these problems started (which was about a week ago). Is it possible for gas to cause such symptoms. We had thought water possibly was in the gas - so added a bottle of fuel neutralizer 2 days ago which is supposed to take care of that problem- but no luck so far.
Its possible how old was the gas? Eric
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Oh? What would it mean if the pressure bleeds down when you turn off the key?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We had just put the gas in the car last Tuesday.
The valve in the fuel pump may not be holding pressure in the line and making it hard to start after sitting for a prperiod of time. Eric
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'll send you the results of the pressure test as soon as we can get the test done again. Why would it be holding pressure when started up immediately after a good run and not when sitting for a while. What would be happening to the valve or fuel to make the difference?
What can happen is over a period of time if the pump don't hold pressure in the fuel line then it takes a while for the pump to fill the line back up so the truck will start. Eric
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks -clear answer. We'll be in touch.

Ok thank you for using Just Answer let me know if you need more help Eric