Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

For a 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis, what is the procedure for ...

For a 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis, what is the procedure for removing and replacing the alternator?
Submitted: 8 years ago via OnlineAutoRepair.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.

Hi there!Hope this helps!Thanks

4.6L Engine

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Rotate the drive belt tensioner away from the drive belt and remove the drive belt from the alternator pulley.

See Figures 1 and 2

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: Rotate the tensioner and remove the belt from around the alternator pulley Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 2: Detach the 2 connectors from the alternator

1. Detach the electrical harness connectors at the alternator assembly.
  2. Disconnect the positive battery cable and remove the nut and washer.

See Figures 3 and 4

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 3: Slide the boot up to access the battery cable on the rear of the alternator Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 4: Remove the nut retaining the battery cable and ...

1. Remove 2 front alternator bolts.

See Figures 5 and 6

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 5: ... remove the battery cable from the post on the rear of the alternator Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 6: Remove the three alternator rear mounting bolts

1. Remove the rear alternator support bracket retaining bolts and the support bracket.
  2. Remove the alternator from the vehicle.

See Figures 7 and 8

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 7: Remove the two front alternator mounting bolts Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 8: Remove the alternator from the engine by carefully lifting it up and out of the engine compartment

To install:

1. Place the alternator in position and loosely install 2 front alternator retaining bolts.
  2. Install the alternator bracket and 3 alternator bracket bolts. Tighten to 84 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
  3. Tighten 2 front alternator retaining bolts to 19 ft. lbs. (26 Nm).
  4. Connect 2 electrical harness connectors to the alternator assembly.
  5. Connect the positive battery cable and install the nut and washer. Tighten the nut to 72 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
  6. Rotate the drive belt tensioner away from the drive belt and install the drive belt on the alternator pulley.
  7. Connect the negative battery cable.
  8. Start the engine and check for proper charging system operation.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Your answer says to rotate the drive belt tensioner and remove the drive belt from the alternator pulley. My question is -- how do you rotate the tensioner, it looks like it takes a special tool.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.

OK.I see.It has been a while since I have done a ford.Most take a 3/8 ratchet or a 1/2 ratchet to fit into the square hole.We also use a box end wrench on the pulley bolt as long as you have to rotate the tensioner downward.I found the pic.No special tool just a 3/8 or 1/2 ratchet.You may have to put a pipe on the handle to give you a little leverage.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to carguy1's Post: I sent a Reply about 30 mins. ago -- still no answer. I'll ask again: how do you rotate the drive belt tensioner? It looks like it requires a special tool.