John, Master Automotive Technician
Experience:  ASE A1-A8 & L1 Master GM Tech 40 years experience

i have to flush the cooling system of my 2002 buick ...

Customer Question

i have to flush the cooling system of my 2002 buick rendezvous. Do I have to drain the water out of my engine and if yes how do i do it
Category: Car
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

A cooling flush machine is needed to complete a cooling flush to an automobile.This machine transfers old coolant out ,flush in,& then rinse & refill with new coolant.If you want to drain & refill your cooling system the drain is on the lower corner of the radiator tank.here is some info to help :

Cooling System Draining and Filling

Draining Procedure

Important: Do NOT add any engine coolant supplement sealant pellets to the cooling system. Drain and refill the engine cooling system every 5 years or 240 000 km, (150,000 mi), whichever occurs first.

1. Park the vehicle on a level surface.
  2. Remove and clean the coolant recovery reservoir.
    Object Number: 401344  Size: SH

Caution: To avoid being burned, do not remove the radiator cap or surge tank cap while the engine is hot. The cooling system will release scalding fluid and steam under pressure if radiator cap or surge tank cap is removed while the engine and radiator are still hot.

3. Remove the radiator cap when the engine is cool:
    3.1. Slowly rotate the cap counterclockwise to the detention tab. Do not press down while rotating pressure cap.
    3.2. Wait until any residual pressure, indicated by a hissing sound, is relieved.
    3.3. After all hissing stops, press down on the radiator cap and rotate the cap counterclockwise in order to remove the cap.

Important: Recover and store used coolant in a used coolant holding tank and submit the used coolant for recycling on a regular basis. Do NOT pour used coolant down the drain. Ethylene glycol antifreeze is very toxic. Disposing of ethylene glycol into the sewer system or ground water is both illegal and ecologically unsound.

4. Place a drain pan under the radiator drain cock in order to collect all of the used coolant.
    Object Number: 872102  Size: SH

5. Open the radiator drain cock.

If only partial cooling system draining is required, drain enough coolant to perform the procedure.

Object Number: 401334  Size: SH

6. Open the air bleed valve on the thermostat housing 2 full turns.
    Object Number: 401328  Size: SH

7. Open the air bleed valve above coolant pump 2 full turns.
  8. Place a drain pan under the engine block drains in order to collect the used coolant.
    Object Number: 70059  Size: SH

Important: Allow the coolant to drain completely.

9. Remove both of the engine block drains.
    The front left engine block drain is located between the starter motor and the engine oil filter.
    The rear right engine block drain is located near the crankshaft position sensor.

Filling Procedure

Object Number: 70059  Size: SH

1. Reinstall the engine block drains.
    Object Number: 872105  Size: SH

2. Close the radiator drain cock.
    Object Number: 125802  Size: SH

3. Install the coolant recovery reservoir.

NOTICE: When adding coolant, it is important that you use GM Goodwrench DEX-COOL® or HAVOLINE® DEX-COOL® coolant. If Coolant other than DEX-COOL® or HAVOLINE® DEX-COOL® is added to the system the engine coolant will require change sooner; at 50 000 km (30,000 mi) or 24 months.

4. Slowly add a 50/50 mixture of GM Goodwrench DEX-COOL® or HAVOLINE® DEX-COOL® and clean, drinkable water to the radiator until the coolant level is at the base of the radiator fill neck.
  5. Wait for 2 minutes and reinspect the level of the coolant in the radiator. If necessary, add coolant to the radiator until the coolant level is at the base of the radiator fill neck.
    Object Number: 401344  Size: SH

6. Install the radiator cap.
    Object Number: 401342  Size: SH

7. Ensure that the radiator cap arrow points toward the radiator overflow tube.
    Object Number: 401338  Size: SH

Important: The air bleed valves are brass. Do NOT over-tighten the air bleed valves.

8. Close the air bleed valve above the coolant pump.
    Object Number: 401332  Size: SH

9. Close the air bleed valve on the thermostat housing.
  10. Fill the coolant reservoir with a 50/50 mixture of GM Goodwrench DEX-COOL® or HAVOLINE® DEX-COOL® and clean, drinkable water.

Important: If the coolant temperature indicator turns ON, turn the engine OFF immediately and allow the engine to cool. Do NOT remove the radiator cap.

11. Start the engine and allow the engine cooling fan to cycle on and off 3 times.
  12. Turn off the ignition.

13. Allow the engine to cool.
  14. Ensure that the engine coolant concentration is sufficient.