GM-Frank
GM-Frank, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  37 Years Automotive Diagnosis & Repair. Experience with all makes and models..

1992 pontiac bonneville se: trouble codes..then disconnected

i have a 1992 pontiac bonneville se i was checking the trouble codes today with a actron code scanner.i got a code 41.i then disconnected the battery cables and reset the computer.i took the car for a ride,when i got back,i checked the codes again and got code 41 again.i then tried to start the car again and it would not crank over at all.i checked the codes again and i got a code 42 and the security light on the instrument panel is flashing.i thought it might be the delco lock security system but i dont have the original stereo to deactivate it.can you please help me.brian XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Car
Expert:  GM-Frank replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

If the security lamp is flashing once per second while the key is on this indicates a fault

I am looking over the code charts for 41 and 42 and I need to know the If you can take a look at the coil setup on the vehicle and tell me how it has six plug wires configured on the coils.

Do you have type l or type ll coil pack design.

graphic

Thanks

Frank

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have a type 1
Expert:  GM-Frank replied 6 years ago.

Customer

There are some issues I will cover on the code 41 and 42, but first we need to look at the security system.

When you place the ignition key in the run position what is the security lamp on the instrument cluster doing?

It is also important for me to know if your security lamp is coming on and then going out in about 2 seconds...or is it remaining on or flashing with key on.

If the security PASSKEY System has disabled the Fuel and Starter, that is where we need to focus our energy.

Frank

P.S.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

GENERAL DESCRIPTION
The Personal Automotive Security System (PASS-Key II) is standard vehicle equipment. The system prevents vehicle theft by disabling the engine unless a key with a specific electrical resistance is used in the steering column ignition switch. The system components are the ignition key, the steering column lock cylinder, the PASS-Key II Decoder module, the starter enable relay, and the power control module (PCM).

SYSTEM OPERATION
The PASS-Key II system prevents the engine from starting if the proper resistance is not sensed from the ignition key. Only one of the 15 resistance values available works with each PASS-Key II module.

The PASS-Key II module controls the starter enable relay and the PCM fuel enable input. If the PASS-Key II module does not send the proper pulse width modulated (PWM) signal to the PCM fuel enable input, the PCM does not allow fuel to be provided to the engine.

If the wrong resistance value is sensed when the ignition is turned on, the PASS-Key II module does not ground the starter enable circuit and does not output the fuel enable PWM signal for approximately three minutes. This prevents the engine from starting and discourages the thief from trying key codes (resistance values) at random.

If the correct resistance is sensed when the ignition is turned on, the PASS-Key II module grounds the starter enable circuit and outputs the fuel enable PWM signal. This allows the engine to start normally.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
last nite i turned the key and let it sit in the on positition for about ten munites and then tried to start the car and nothing.this morning.i went out to start the car and nothing and the security light was flashing off and on every two seconds.i then tried taking the key in and out a couple times and nothing.i then started banging on the steering colum and tried starting again and the car started.now, the security light is always on now along with the check engine light,code 41 and code 42 still
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do i need to replace the ignition and keys or something else
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what part do i need to check or change??
Expert:  GM-Frank replied 6 years ago.

OK,

That's exactly what I was thinking we could get to on yours.

Those tiny wires that go from the Ignition Lock Cylinder down through the column on those actually break and it sounds like you have one that is close or it is broken and the bang on the column caused then to touch and make contact.

Make sure the ignition keys are in good shape and the little brass pellet isn't worn down to nothing. Replace the lock cylinder...it comes with the wires that go down through to a connector at the base of the steering column.

If you get replacement keys, be sure the pellet resistance is the same that is on the original key. There are 15 or so resistance codes for the keys.

A Locksmith or Dealer should be able to provide the correct key.

Let's get that part handled, and see if the 41 and 42 still come up after the PASSKEY system is repaired.

Thanks

Frank

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how can i disable the system,i was reading about it and someone said if i cut the yellow wire when the car is running it will disable the system
Expert:  GM-Frank replied 6 years ago.

Well,Customer

I'll be honest with you, I have never disabled that system.

I've done the repairs.

I know there is a failsafe operation if it fails while you are driving as long as the correct key was last used to start. I'll do some checking today at work to see what we can do about that for you.

Thanks for your patience.

Frank

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
and now code 41 camshaft sensor,the car runs good sometimes and rough idles sometimes and slight loss of power.i replaced the sensor and no change.i am going to check to see if the sensor magnet is still attached to the timeing chain.if it is i am assumeing its the wireing.
Expert:  GM-Frank replied 6 years ago.

OKCustomerit seems that the best method for bypassing the PassKey system is to

measure the resistance that is in your Good Ignition Key with a quality Mutli-meter, and go to Radio Shack and purchase a 1/4 Watt Resistor of the exact same value as the one in your Key.

Then simply go to the base of the column where the small lock cylinder wires come out to a connector, and unplug the connector and leave it unplugged and plug in the resistor you got from Radio Shack.

The resistor will then trick the PassKey Module into thinking there is always a key in the ignition even when there is not.

Before you do this, plug the key into the lock cylinder and at the connector check to see that your wiring is actually open to the lock cylinder. If the wires are broken you will have no continuity when checked.

Those who I talked to, say that is the best of methods if you don't want to install a new lock cylinder.

graphic

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION:
During cranking, the ignition module monitors the dual crank sensor sync signal. The sync signal is used to determine the correct cylinder pair to spark first. After the sync signal has been processed by the ignition module it sends a fuel control reference pulse to the PCM. When the PCM receives this pulse it will command all six injectors to open for a (priming) shot of fuel in all cylinders. After the priming, the injectors are left "OFF" for the next six fuel control reference pulses (two crankshaft revolutions) from the ignition module. This allows each cylinder a chance to use the fuel from the (priming) shot. During this waiting period, a cam pulse will have been received by the PCM. Now the PCM begins to operate the injectors sequentially, based on true camshaft position. However, if the cam signal is not present at start-up a code 41 will be set and the PCM will start sequential fuel delivery in any old random pattern. The engine has a 1 in 6 chance that fuel delivery is correct.

Code 41 sets when the following condition exists:

• Cam sensor signal not received by by the PCM for 5 seconds while engine is running.

TEST DESCRIPTION

graphic

Numbers below refer to circled numbers on the diagnostic chart.

1. This step verifies proper operation of CKTs 633, 644, and 645.
  2. Step validates the integrity of CKT 630 from C3I module to PCM.
  3. If the camshaft gear magnet is interfacing with the cam sensor, the voltage reading will be zero. Bumping engine with the starter will rotate the magnet away from the sensor and the voltage reading should change to greater than 8 volts.
  4. If the voltage reading of "BA12" is constantly varying and connection to the PCM is good, the PCM is faulty.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS:

An intermittent may be caused by a poor connection, rubbed through wire insulation or a wire broken inside the insulation. Check For:

• Poor Connection or a damaged Harness inspect PCM harness connectors for backed out terminal "BA12," improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, poor terminal to wire connection and damaged harness.
  • Intermittent Test If connections and harness check OK, monitor a digital voltmeter connected from PCM terminal "BA12" to ground while moving related connectors and wiring harness. If the failure is induced, the voltage reading will change. This may help to isolate the location of the malfunction.

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION:
The ignition module sends a reference and a fuel control reference signal to the PCM when the engine is cranking. For the first two fuel control pulses, the ignition module controls ignition timing. Then the PCM sends a 5 volt signal on the bypass CKT 424 to switch timing to PCM control. An open or ground in the EST or bypass circuit at the time the engine is started, will set a code 42. The engine may be started but will run on module mode ignition timing.

Code 42 sets when the following conditions exist:

• Open or grounded CKT 423 at the time of engine start-up, OR
  • ECM commanding bypass mode (open or grounded CKT 424) when the engine is started.

TEST DESCRIPTION

graphic

1. Checks to see if PCM recognizes a problem. If it does not set Code 42, it is an intermittent problem and could be due to a loose connection.
  2. With the PCM disconnected, the ohmmeter should be reading less than 200 ohms, which is the normal resistance of the EST circuit through the ignition module. A higher resistance would indicate a fault in CKT 423, a poor ignition module connection, or a faulty ignition module.
  3. If test light was "ON" when connected from 12 volts to PCM harness terminal "BC6" either CKT 424 is shorted to ground or the ignition module is faulty.
  4. Checks to see if ignition module switches when the bypass circuit is energized by 12 volts through the test light. If the ignition module actually switched the ohmmeter reading should shift to over 6,000 ohms.
  5. Disconnecting the ignition module should make the ohmmeter read as if it were monitoring an open circuit (infinite reading). Otherwise CKT 423 is shorted to ground.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS:

An intermittent may be caused by a poor connection, rubbed through wire insulation, or a wire broken inside the insulation. Check For:

• Poor Connection or Damaged Harness. Inspect for PCM harness connectors for backed out terminals "BC6" or "BC7," improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, poor terminal to wire connection, and damaged harness.
  • Intermittent Test If connections and harness check OK, a digital voltmeter connected from affected terminal to ground while moving related connectors and wiring harness. if the failure is induced, the voltage reading will change.

I hope that this additional info is what you needed.

Please keep in mind that we are paid nothing for the service we provide unless you click "ACCEPT"

Frank

GM-Frank, ASE Master Certified
Experience: 37 Years Automotive Diagnosis & Repair. Experience with all makes and models..