GM-Frank
GM-Frank, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  37 Years Automotive Diagnosis & Repair. Experience with all makes and models..
10184299

I have a 2000 pontiac bonneville SSEI,oil is not ...

I have a 2000 pontiac bonneville SSEI,oil is not going through motor,oil pressure builds up high enough to blow rubber seal from oil filter.Oil filter adapter is not stopped up.Need to know what one thing that can stop oil flow from filter to motor?
Category: Car
Expert:  GM-Frank replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I'm sending you what I have on the Engine Oiling System.

Looks like a plugged pickup screen or restriction in channel leading to Front main engine bearing.

The engine lubrication system is of the force-feed type. The oil is supplied under full pressure to the crankshaft, connecting rods, valve lifters, camshaft, and rear balance shaft bearing. A controlled volume of oil is supplied to the valve rocker arms and push rods.

All other moving parts are lubricated by gravity flow or splash. The engine oil is stored in the lower crankcase (oil pan) which is filled through a filler opening in the valve rocker arm cover.

A removable oil level indicator, on the left side of the engine block, is provided to check the oil level. The oil pump is located in the engine front cover and is driven by the crankshaft. It is a gerotor-style pump which is a combination of a gear and a rotor pump.

It is connected by a passage in the cylinder block to an oil screen and pipe assembly. The screen is submerged in the oil supply and has ample volume for all operating conditions. If the screen becomes clogged, oil may be drawn into the system through the oil pressure relief valve in the oil filter adapter.

Oil is drawn into the pump through the screen and pipe assembly, and a passage in the crankcase, connecting to the passages in the engine front cover.

Oil is discharged from the oil pump to the oil filter adapter. The oil filter adapter consists of an oil filter bypass valve and a nipple for installation of an oil filter. The spring-loaded oil pressure relief valve, located in the engine front cover, limits the oil pressure. Check this bypass valve. It should limit blowing the filter off of the car. But there still seems to be a restriction leading right into that front main or front cam bearing oil passage. May have spun a cam bearing. It appeas that No oil would get to the top of the engine.

The oil filter bypass valve opens when the oil filter is restricted to approximately 68.95 kPa (10 psi) of pressure difference between the oil filter inlet and discharge. The oil will then bypass the oil filter and channel unfiltered oil directly to the main oil galleries of the engine. A full-flow oil filter is externally mounted to the oil filter adapter on the lower right front side of the engine. If the filter element becomes restricted, not allowing engine oil to pass through, a spring-loaded bypass valve opens.

The main oil galleries run the full length of the engine block and cut into the valve litter guide holes to supply oil at full pressure to the valve lifters. Holes, drilled from the crankshaft bearings to the main oil gallery, intersect the camshaft bearing bores to supply oil to the cam bearings. Possible restriction here!

Oil is transferred from the crankshaft bearings to the connecting rod bearings through holes drilled in the crankshaft. Pistons, piston pins, and cylinder walls are lubricated by oil splash from the crankshaft and connecting rods.

Each valve rocker arm and valve is supplied with oil through the tubular push rod. The oil comes from the inside of the valve litter passing around the metering valve and through a hole in the push rod seat. Oil from the push rod passes through a hole in the push rod seat, and emerges on top of the push rod seat boss.

You are going to need to use compressed air to blow air in to the passage where it feeds the front of the crankshaft and see if it is plugged up. The restriction may be in the timing cover itself.

In the picture below you can easily see the passage that could be give you a problem.

graphic

This is about all I have on the oiling system. I hope this helps.

Take Care

Frank