OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic
9051600

my car bounces more than Im comfortable with on bumpy roads

Customer Question

I''m hearing noise when I brake and my car bounces more than I''m comfortable with on bumpy roads. I''ve also noticed that I need to break sooner that when I first purchased the car. What could be the problem and how to I resolve it.
Submitted: 8 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

If the car make noise and you feel bounces, indicates that it's time for a brake job. Bounces indicate a warped rotor, the rotors will need to be replaced along with the pads.

When you let your brakes wear down low, you risk of running steel on steel which will warp and damage the rotors.

You may also want to check the strut, put some pressure on the front and listen for noise. If you hear noise when you lean on the front of the car, it is very likely that you will need new struts.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I've taken it in and was told it was the struts, but they are suggesting that I allow them to dismantle the struts and re-lub.
You should have them try to fix it, also ask them to check the pads. The grinding noise during braking indicates that the pads are either low or gone. Shops will check the brake life for free. While they are working at it, have them check it and if needed replace it.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Brake pads were checked also. 90 on front and 60 on rear
In that case what you are hearing when braking is the strut retracting. When you push the brake, pressure is exerted to the front as the car is coming to a stop. This will put pressure on the strurts and you will hear the noise.