OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic
9051600

1995 ford taurus: going down the road and then restart in a few mins

i have a 1995 ford taurus that will just shut off going down the road and then restart in a few mins
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

That sounds like the car has a bad crankshaft position sensor. This will cause the car to lose position, the motor looses spark and the car turns off. You can confirm this by doing a quick spark test when the car turns off and refuses to restart. If there is not spark, the sensor has gone bad.

Crankshaft position sensor : SU4101 $34.99

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to OnlineMechanic's Post: just wanted to give you a little more info before accepting that answer.

it never has shut off more than 2 times in a trip, fuel is getting to the engine as i have used the release valve and gotten fuel, i dont smell any gas when trying to restart, and the car is not overheating. when i take off my gas cap there does seem to be pressure, if you are ruling out the fuel pump i love this answer...lol i just wanted to give you this add. info to see if you still think the same i appriciate your time and i will accept. ty

I would not suspect the pump. If when the car is running you are having no problems, I would not suspect the pump.

Do a spark test when the car shuts off and does not want to start. I am sure what you will find is that the car does not have spark, but has fuel.