tech 101
tech 101, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase certified till 20010 ir4kv1pe8holif cer id

A beeping noise and a flashing light on instrument panel..engine runs

There is a beeping noise and a flashing light on instrument panel with ignition off.There are 4 fkashed and then pause and then repeaded again. The dound goes off after ignition is turned on and engine runs The flashes continue,
Category: Car
Expert:  tech 101 replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Expert:  tech 101 replied 8 years ago.
what light is blinking is it shaped like a lock ist it it sounds like a security system issue door jamb switch or hood switch not properly closing
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
1994 GMC20 designer VAN, 130,000 miles, 350 V8
I checked for shorts after problem, but prior to problem I was probing for 12 volt line with pick probe with the ignition on but not running. The light is red and 1/8 diameter on lower edge of dash on left side of steering column. I think the ECM is trashed, unless there is a way to recover it short of a new one?
Note: I have found a way to stop the beeping and the blinking dash light. A switch on the dash that turns on the headlights, when turned off stops the blinking and the beeping both when key is off and when it is on. So I don't have a ECM problem. I must have short in the dome light switch or wiring. Thanks anyhow.
Expert:  tech 101 replied 8 years ago.
no problem thank you