Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

No Comment Added

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim West replied 6 years ago.
Hi thanks for choosing JA

Are you wanting to know how to fix the problem? Or are you just asking how to reset the light?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
car make:1997 cadillac concourse
engine:4.6 north star
mileage:162000
i have tried to locate a fuse to disconnect the light.according to a scan at autozone it appears to be in the catylitic converter
Expert:  Tim West replied 6 years ago.
Hi, thanks for choosing JA

The engine light is activated by the vehicle PCM. I would not recommend attempting to disable the service light from the vehicle.
The best way to turn off the light without risking serious damage to the vehicle are:

1. Removing the bulb from the cluster/ instrument panel.
  2. Fixing the problem.
  3. Disconnecting the battery (this will only temporarily disable the light)
  4. Using a scan tool to reset the light
Can I assist you in repairing the vehicle?
Some states require a functional engine warning light to pass inspection standards.
Expert:  Tim West replied 6 years ago.
Was it a p0420 catalyst code?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i wish do disable the light.i have had this problem before and replaced the converter.the light is on steady
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i wish todisable the light.i have had this problem before and replaced the converter.the light is on steady
Expert:  Tim West replied 6 years ago.
You replaced the converter in this vehicle already?

Either way I know what you are trying to accomplish.

I know a trick, but it only has about a 50% success rate.
I have cleared many cat codes this way. Thats how my girlfriend passed her inspection.
Are you interested?
(won't make the cat function like new or anything but has been known to shut the light off for months even years. The cost... about 4.00$
Customer: replied 6 years ago.