Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone

2001 century: trans..problem and the car runs fine..whats wrong

Customer Question

my 2001 century trans slipps after 5 to 6 miles. turning the car off then back on stops the problem and the car runs fine for an other 5 to 6 miles   whats wrong?
Submitted: 8 years ago via
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim West replied 8 years ago.
Hi thanks for choosing JA

I have a couple solutions to the problem you are having. I just have a couple questions for you.
  1. Is there a check engine light on?
  2. Did you change the transmission fluid because of this problem? Or is this problem the result of?
  3. How many miles does the vehicle have?
  4. What type of transmission and how much fluid did you use?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
1)no light on
2)fuild was because of the problem
4)i dont know what type it was what the tech put in
Expert:  Tim West replied 8 years ago.

The Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor elements may be dirty and causing lower than expected engine load calculation.
Test & Fix:
Determine if the vehicle is equipped with a MAF sensor. If the MAF sensor elements are coated with contaminents, such as oil and/or dirt, then the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will not receive correct airflow/load input from the MAF sensor. This usually causes a lean air/fuel condition but also is known to cause lower than expected transmission line pressure. Most of the time, cleaning the sensor elements with a cotton swab and electrical contact or MAF cleaner will fix the incorrect MAF signal and allow transmission line pressure to return to normal. GM has a bulletin, Technical Service Bulletin, related to this condition, but refers only to aftermarket air filters as the cause. Have confirmed many vehicles with an OEM air filter that have this condition.