OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic
9051600

What a water pump does..i..timing belt replaced..overheated..garage

I want to know what a water pump does..i just recently took my car in to have the timing belt replaced and they put a water pump...this was about 4 days ago..today when I was driving..the car overheated..and I barely made it home..would this have anything to do with the water pump or is it something else?? Do I need to take it back to the garage that did the work?
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

This would have to do something with the water pump. The water pump is the main and most important part of the engine cooling system. It pumps the water to make circulation in the system. The water flows through the motor to cool it down , then goes into the radiator to cool the water down.

If the water pump is not working properly, the car will overheat. I would strongly suggest that you take the car back to the garage that did the work.