Your Auto Inspector
Your Auto Inspector, Assistant Service Manager
Experience:  Tires Plus
10675526

2003 santa fe: 2.7L..automatic and..towing..travel trailer

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Sante Fe 2.7L automatic and have begun towing a small (T@B) travel trailer recently. At 1575 lbs (dry) this trailer is well within the 2250 towing capacity listed in my owner''s manual. In spite of this I worry about damage to my transmission, or other damage this could cause. I''ve heard of transmission coolers, and wondering if such an animal exists for my Santa Fe, and how I would go about getting one?
Category: Car
Expert:  Your Auto Inspector replied 6 years ago.

Your vehicle is specifically designed to tow up to 2250 lbs so towing less should not be a problem. You may have to replace your transmission fluid more often because towing allows the transmission to get hotter, and transmission fluid wears faster based upon higher temperatures.

Your vehicle is already equipped with a transmission oil cooler. You can follow the cooler lines going out of the top of your transmission and into your radiator. Your radiator has a tube that allows the transmission fuild to flow through it so that it can be cooled. I have provided pictures below:

graphic

graphic

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you.

Expert:  Roadside Jerry replied 6 years ago.
Since you have an interest in installing an additional cooler to supplement the factory one I will send information on an auxiliary transmission cooler that is made for your Sante Fe . You may have to copy and paste,then scroll down the page. Thanks Jerry http://www.thepartsbin.com/sitemap/hyundai~transmission_oil_cooler~parts.htmlgraphic.It will provide additional cooling for the transmission. It is not to expensive,and the use has been proved to extend transmission life. Here is a link,and a picture of the cooler.Thanks for using Just Answer,Jerry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to drhorsefield's Post: Thank you. Your answer was great and I fully intend to pay you for it. I just wasn't sure if I would be charged again for this follow-up question: How often is "more often" regarding changing the transmission fluid? I just had it done about 2,000 miles ago. Thanks,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to drhorsefield's Post: uh oh! I didn't notice the info you sent me about the supplemental cooler until after I sent my last reply. It looks like the part is reasonably priced, but can you give me some idea of what I would need to pay a mechanic to install it?   (I'm not mechanical at all).

You will be looking to pay $100-$150 to install the transmission oil cooler.

I don't believe that it will be necessary for the minimal amout of towing that you are doing, unless you tow the trailer every day.

You will probably replace the transmission fluid every 30,000-45,000 miles depending on the fluid condition. Transmission fluid wear is based upon heat. The general rule of thumb is that a 10 degree increase in trans fluid temp. causes the fluid to wear 10% quicker.

Experience: Tires Plus