OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic

2005 GMC Yukon: XL...000 miles..oil changes, fluids etc

Customer Question

I have a 2005 GMC Yukon XL. It has approx 59,000 miles. My car is due for its first major service, outside of oil changes, fluids etc. I do not have reputable GMC dealers in my area, so I am looking to have my vehicle serviced by another mechanic. In doing so I want to be sure I have all the proper elements serviced and am looking for a check list of items to have repaired/cleaned, etc. Could someone give me a punch list of items that should be checked?
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Maintenance Intervals

MAINTENANCE I AND II SERVICE SCHEDULES

2005-06 ESCALADE, SUBURBAN, TAHOE, YUKON, YUKON DENALI, YUKON XL

ServiceMaintenance IMaintenance II
Change the engine oil and filter. XX
Reset the oil life system.
Visually inspect the vehicle for leaks or damage. A fluid loss in the vehicle system could indicate a problem. Inspected, repair and add fluid to the system if necessary.XX
Inspect the engine air cleaner filter. If necessary, replace the filter. XX
Rotate the tires. Inspect the tire inflation pressures and the tire wear. XX
Visually inspect the brake lines and hoses for proper hook-up, binding, leaks, cracks, chafing, etc. Inspect the disc brake pads for wear and the rotors for surface condition. Inspect the drum brake linings for wear or cracks. Inspect other brake partsXX
Inspect the engine coolant and the windshield washer fluid levels. Add fluid as needed.XX
Inspect the suspension and steering components. Inspect the front and rear suspension and the steering system for damaged, loose or missing parts, or signs of wear. Inspect the power steering lines and the hoses for proper hook-up, binding, leaks, crac--X
Visually inspect the coolant hoses and replace the hoses if they are cracked, swollen or deteriorated. Inspect all pipes, fittings and clamps; replace with GM parts as needed. To help ensure proper operation, a pressure test of the cooling system and p X
Inspect the wiper blades for wear or cracking. --X
Inspect the restraint system components.Ensure the safety belt reminder light and all the belts, buckles, latch plates, retractors and anchorages are working properly. Look for any other loose or damaged safety belt system parts. If you see anything th--X
Lubricate the body components.Lubricate all key lock cylinders, hood latch assemblies, secondary latches, pivots, spring anchor and release pawl, hood and door hinges, rear folding seats and liftgate hinges. Frequent lubrication may be required when ex--X
Inspect the transaxle fluid level and add fluid as needed. --X
Inspect the suspension and steering components.Inspect the front and rear suspension and the steering system for damaged, loose or missing parts, or signs of wear. Inspect power steering lines and hoses for proper hook-up, binding, leaks, cracks, chafi--X
X
Inspect the throttle system for interference or binding and for damaged or missing parts. Replace the parts as needed. Replace any components that have high effort or excessive wear. Do not lubricate the accelerator or the cruise control cables.--X
Replace the passenger compartment air filter.--X

To reset the CHANGE ENGINE OIL message:

1. Turn the ignition key to RUN with the engine off

2. Fully press and release the accelerator pedal slowly three times within five seconds. If the OIL LIFE RESET message flashes for 10seconds, the system is resetting

3. Turn the key to LOCK.

When the CHANGE ENGINE OIL light appears, certain services and inspections are required.
Required services are described as MaintenanceI and MaintenanceII.
The first service on a vehicle should be MaintenanceI, and the second service should be MaintenanceII.
Alternate between the 2thereafter. However, in some cases, MaintenanceII may be required more often.
MaintenanceI:Use MaintenanceI if the CHANGE ENGINE OIL light comes on within 10months
since vehicle was purchased or, if Maintenance II was performed.
MaintenanceII:Use MaintenanceII if the previous service performed was MaintenanceI.
Always use Maintenance II whenever the CHANGE ENGINE OIL light comes on 10 months or more since the last
service, or, if the CHANGE ENGINE OIL light has not come on at all for one year.

Additional Maintenance Services

ADDITONAL MAINTENANCE SERVICES

To be servicedType of serviceVehicle mileage interval (x1000)
255075100125150
Air cleaner filter ?R
X X X
Accessory drive beltI
X
Auto. Trans. Fluid ?R
X X X
Cooling system hoses and clampsS/I
X
Engine coolantR
X
Evaporative emissions systemS/I
X X X
Exhaust system & heat shieldsS/I
XXXXXX
Fuel systemI
XXXXXX
Spark plugsR
X
Transfer case fluidR
X X X
R: Replace S/I: Inspect and service, if necessary

OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience: Mechanic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What about the belts in the car? Should they be replaced at this point?
No, they have to be inspected. If you see obvious wear then replaced.