supertech
supertech, mastertech
Experience:  ase master auto tech,triple chrys master tech,42 yr experinece,adv. level spec. ASE. HEV chrys spec.

Subaru sunroof.

On side of the sunroof tries to open the other moter runs but the window does not lift and open. I took it in to a chev dealer and they said the sunroof binding in track assembly. He said he has to replace the track and moter for $900. Is this under a recall? Thanks Ed
Category: Car
Expert:  supertech replied 6 years ago.

Hi my name is John.

There no recall on the sunroof at all.

Let me know if you need more.

Please push the accept button when were done.

Thank you for choosing just answer.

supertech, mastertech
Experience: ase master auto tech,triple chrys master tech,42 yr experinece,adv. level spec. ASE. HEV chrys spec.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to supertech's Post: You answered the question about the recall. But do you think that the problem is the track, motor. What do you think the problem is how to fix it and about the cost of parts nad repair. I know that I just asked about the recall but I need a little more info about what you think the cause is.
Thanks
Ed
Expert:  supertech replied 6 years ago.

I would look in there frist and see if there any thing in the tracks causeing it to stick.

graphic

Loosen sunroof lid nuts and then adjust height by adding (max: four pieces) or extracting (min: zero piece) shims (standard: two pieces) between sunroof lid and roof panel

Now you'll be able to see better what causeing yhe problem,by removeing the sunroof lid.

graphic

graphic

Check continuity between terminals when operating the switch

A switch cost about 40.00.

INSPECTION

AUTO REVERSE FUNCTION

1. Open the sunroof lid.
  2. While the sunroof lid closing automatically, press the switch to open and check if auto reverse function operates properly.
  3. Check that the sunroof opens 150 mm (5.91 in) by auto reverse function operated.

CAUTION: Do not check the auto reverse operation with pinching any object.
NOTE:

• Auto function is canceled if auto reverse function operates more than five times.
  • Reset if auto function is canceled

ADJUSTMENT

1. Reset the sunroof motor.
  1. Close the sunroof lid completely, and then push the switch to close for more than 1 second . (At this time, the sunroof operates 50 mm each intermittently. And also the switch is needed to push for several times.)
  2. Open the sunroof lid approx. 400 mm (15.75 in) .
  3. Close the sunroof lid completely, and then push the switch to close for more than 1 second . (Sunroof operates automatically by performing this operation.)

A motor cost about 260.00 and it a 1.9 hr job to install.

graphic

You could test for power 12 volts and for ground (.5ohm resistance on ground wire)

supertech, mastertech