Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone

2001 pontiac aztek: dash lights..guages..air conditioner..anti theft

I have a 2001 Pontaic Aztek the dash lights and guages are going off and on, so are my headlights, and air conditioner, and the anti theft on the stereo has the stereo locked, I have no owner''s manual and live in a rural area and I desparately need help now, Please!
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim West replied 8 years ago.
Hi thanks for choosing JA

It sounds like the vehicle BCM is failing. The symptoms are very common in GM applications. Before replacing BCM look into possible electrical issues (bad wires, broken, missing ect...)

1. When it will not crank over and the key is in the start position, check the VTD (Vehicle Theft Deterrent) fuel disable through the Power train Control Module (PCM).

2. If the fuel disable is showing "active" and the starter relay command is "off", using the scan tool, check the Key in ignition through the Body Control Module (BCM). The input should read "active" with the key in the ignition and "inactive" with the key out.

3. If the alarm system is going off when not activated, check the CTD alarm state and CTD enable through the BCM.

4. Check for Battery Voltage (B+) at the fuses for the BCM and PCM when the problem is happening. If the voltage is less than B+, check for a voltage drop through the ignition switch.