OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic

1999 infiniti: the service engine soon indicator lit up and I..rough

I just got a 1999 infiniti G 20 that I love so much. i have 35000 miles on it. Recently the service engine soon indicator lit up and I noticed the engine is rough when idle(on but not moving). I searched and found it may be the exhaust recircualtion valve. Is this a defect that can be fixed, and i mean premenantly fixed or it will keep coming back every few months and cost me a lot of money. is there an upgrade or a recall regarding this issue.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Actually the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve can be fix permanently. The EGR valve costs only $73.99 and it does come with a 2 year warranty. Also the EGR valve is not very hard to replace (only about 1hour of labor at most shops which is about $100 for installation). Once you replace the unit it will not keep going out on you on a monthly bases.

However, prior to changing any parts. I would strongly suggest that you do an OBDII scan on the car. Take the car to autozone and ask for an OBDII, this will tell you why the light came on and what needs to be fixed/replaced.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks a lot. Excellent, focused answer and advice. I am so happy .
Not a problem, thank you for accepting and using Just Answer!