DCM, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs Mechanic

1995 Isuzu: cables..the parking brake lever has to be pulled..slight

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Isuzu KB280D double cab pick up. I have replaced the park brake cables and still experience a problem with the park brake being ineffective, the parking brake lever has to be pulled until very hard to create only slight holding power even on a slight gradient?
Category: Car
Expert:  DCM replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA.

The best thing to do is have some one pull the hand brake for you while you are looking on the cable movement, most likely it just need a little adjustment. First have your assistant step on the brake then pull the hand brake all the way up, then you need to look on the cable if it is tight enough, or check the tention of the cable, if the cable does not have much tention, then what you should do is loosen the cable connector, and pull it hard while your assistant is steping on the brake, then tighten the cable connectro again.

Note: Jack the rear of the truck and have your assistant step on the brake, and shifter in newtral, turn the wheel by your hand and see if the shoe is holding the rear wheel, if not adjust the brake some more
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to DCM's Post: I have tried that - new cables were fitted and relevant adjustments were made including adjustment to the rear brake shoes!!
Expert:  DCM replied 8 years ago.
Have you tried jacking up the car and have some one step on the brake while you are turning the rear wheel?