AutoSavvy
AutoSavvy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Tech, Foreign and Domestic. Dealer, independent shop, and Carmax experienced.

1994 cutlass ciera: latch inside the car will not release the hood.

Customer Question

I have a 1994 cutlass cierra and the hood will not open. The latch inside the car will not release the hood. How can I open the hood?
Category: Car
Expert:  AutoSavvy replied 6 years ago.
Hey Diane,

Sorry to hear of your latch troubles. It can be tricky to find out how to open your hood.

You are going to need to find where the cable to the hood latch is broken to open your hood. I don't know if you have looked, but it is common for the cable to break off right behind your hood latch. That would be good news. Look under the dash directly behind the hood latch to see if the cable is detached next to the lever. If it is, you will simply need to find a pair of pliers and pull on the cable to open your hood.

If you cannot find a break in the cable under the dash, it will be a little more difficult to open. If this is the case, the best option may be to get to the hood latch from under the car. There should be some kind of room to get to the latch from under there, but you will need someone to hold the hood down as far as it will go when you try to get the latch to move. You may have to operate blind so patience will be at a premium. If you cannot get to the latch that way, it may be possible to get a very long screwdriver or pair of pliers to get to the cable from outside the front, but like you said, it is very tight and may not be possible.

The hood latch is a completely mechanical operation, so unfortunately, that is about your only way to combat the problem. The cable simply pulls on the latch to pull it out of the way and let the hood open.

I hope this gives you a few directions and things to try. Let me know if I can help you more in any way. Good luck.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to AutoSavvy's Post: I tried what you said to do and we still cannot get the hood open. I thought we could do this ourselves and save money but we couldnt.
Expert:  AutoSavvy replied 6 years ago.
Sorry you couldn't get the hood open. Unfortunately, not everything works out to where you have the resources to do it yourself. Thanks for stopping by anyway and let me know if I can help you at a later date in any other way.