Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.

86 mercury grand marquis: neutral..trans fluid..torque converter

have 86 mercury grand marquis, 350 efi. trans used to drop out of gear into neutral coming down from high speed. told to change trans fluid and screen and in torque converter. had done professionally. now trans slips all over !! could it be vacuum modulator? can I fix this or too complex ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ivan replied 8 years ago.
I hate to say it, but you need a transmission. The biggest problems were the grommet for the shift cable disintegrating and causing the pressures in the trans to go to high, destroying the trans. When a trans acts the way yours did and the fluid is burnt, changing the fluid often causes it not to shift properly. The old fluid was thicker than the new fluid and due to the wear within the trans, it can't build hydraulic pressure. Replace the trans. Used transmissions are iffy, A rebuilt would be the better choice. Make sure if you do it yourself, you flush and blow out the trans cooling lines so you don't contaminate the new transmission and make sure the shift cable grommet at the throttlebody is not missing or damaged.