Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

I Have a 1996 Oldsmobile ciera 4 door with a 3.1 V6 . This ...

I Have a 1996 Oldsmobile ciera 4 door with a 3.1 V6 . This car runs great all winter long,But when the weather gets HOT as in 80-95 the engine will start stalling, if you pump the gas it will rev up and go and then stall ,if you let it sit for 10-15 min. it will start and run good for a little while and then stall . I changed the engine computer that is under the coils . wast of $150.00, I have had 2 fuel Pumps go on this car and this is not like a pump problem and the car will drive for a long way before it starts stalling and only when the weather is hot. Can you help on this
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.

Hello there!

We need to find out if we are loosing spark of fuel.

When this happens, see if there is spark down by the spark plugs and see if it runs on starting fluid.

This type of problem needs to be diagnosed so you don't throw any more money away.

Let me know!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This problem it always after you have been driving for a while ,when we are in town and in traffic when it dies.It only takes a minute or less and it will start and go and if you pump the gas it will rev up and go for a little ways and then die down ,you can do this several times like this it with out turning the ignition over. then it will finally Quit and not start ,but let it set 5 minutes and it will start and you can go again ,only a mile or so But you can finally get home. Driving short distances it will run fine,we drive into the next town to shop ,about 30 miles and then drive around town for an hour before it starts to Quit. In the winter you can drive any where no problem ,this only happens when it is hot out.It seams like the ignition cuts out and then in ,when the engine rev up if you keep it wide open it will go 1/4 mile or so then die.Do fuel pumps work fine all winter and then not in summer,this is the second summer with this problem. I think it might be module problem but what one ? SORRY your Question on fuel or spark I have not tried that and it may a few days before I drive long enough to find out,I will take a long some starter fluid and try that as well as a spark tester ,Thank You
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
You could also have a bad crank sensor. This will cause you to loose spark. The sensor just shorts out and then stops giving the computer a signal that the engine is running.

But again, we need to check for spark and see if it runs on starting fluid when this happens.

Let me know!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Well We have spark so it must be the fuel pump after all,even though it will run fine cold but stall when it gets hot out .we went to town to day and it took 2 hr. to get the car home,it should be a 1/2 hr. drive,so Saturday it will be a pull the tank day and change the pump for the 4th time in 9 years.
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.

Just be sure that you are loosing fuel pressure when this happens. Your best bet is to hook up a fuel pressure gage when this happens. If you are loosing fuel pressure, just be sure you have power and a good ground to the fuel pump.

If you still determine that the fuel pump is at fault, I would rec to get an OE one. Not an after market one. I have a feeling this is why they are going bad.