FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

S Type: Jag..84,000 miles, when my mechanic..front struts..mounting

i have a 2002 Jag S Type, 84,000 miles, when my mechanic moves my wheel, his hands in the 12 and 6 o''clock positions, the top of my front struts seem to move. My mechanic told me that I need to replace the front struts. Do I need the struts or can I replace the mounting plates? Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer are you getting any type of noise from the struts?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to BOBBY's Post: Yes, I hear a rattling noise that sounds like its coming from the top of the strut. When we rock the wheel it appears that the bottom of the strut moves qlthough the bolt is tight.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 8 years ago.
Okay. It is normal for the strut to move slightly in the rubber mount at the top. It should not move at all at the lower mounting area. You need to make sure all of the suspension parts are tight first. As long as the mounts are not cracked and are intact when the vehicle is lifted from the ground they should be fine. you can tell better once the struts are removed. The problem is most likely in the struts themselves.