Curtis
Curtis, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years ASE certified Master Technician, and Advanced Level Specialist, on GM vehicles
10863664

1998 Saturn: I need to replace the alternator on my wife..SL1

Customer Question

I need to replace the alternator on my wife''s 1998 Saturn SL1. What is the best way to get to it, and what tools do I need, and basically.....what''s the best way to do it?
Category: Car
Expert:  Curtis replied 8 years ago.
WARNING: MAKE SURE THE VEHICLE IS PROPERLY SUPPORTED AND SQUARELY POSITIONED PRIOR TO LIFTING. TO HELP AVOID PERSONAL INJURY WHEN A VEHICLE IS ON A HOIST; PROVIDE ADDITIONAL SUPPORT FOR THE VEHICLE ON THE OPPOSITE END FROM WHICH COMPONENTS ARE BEING REMOVED. MAKE SURE HOIST DOES NOT CONTACT FUEL OR BRAKE LINES.
  1. Disconnect battery negative cable.
  2. Remove accessory belt.
  3. Raise vehicle on hoist.
  4. Remove right wheel.
  5. Remove right side splash shield.
  6. Disconnect the field wires.

Generator Removal

NOTE: If stud is not held and stud rotates, the plastic insulator will crack and/or break causing generator to fail.

1. Disconnect the fusible link wire using generator output stud wrench (SA9401C) to hold generator output (B+) stud from rotating.

1. Remove the lower and upper generator attachment bolts.

9. Remove the generator through the wheel well opening behind the strut.

Terms of Use
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This reads like a thorough answer but it leaves me with a few questions.

1. Can you provide more detail on how to properly remove the accessory belt.

2. I'm not sure how to properly identify or disconnect "field wires".

3. I'm not sure how to properly identify or disconnect "the fusible link wire".

4. Is the "generator output stud wrench (SA9401C)" some sort of specialty tool, if so, I likely don't have it and would need to know what, if any, substitute tool I can use to hold the stud from rotating.

and lastly, as of right now none of the images you included are loading for me, in IE or in Firefox (both of which are updated), I'll try it again in the morning when I intend to go ahead with the repair, but I'm sure I'm going to need those to work if this answer is going to be any help.

THANKS SOOOOOO MUCH for all the information you have provided already, if this works out I'd be more than happy to accept, and perhaps add on some sort of bonus if I can.

-Brian
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
update, I am now able to view the images.
Expert:  Curtis replied 8 years ago.
I'm not sure how to properly identify or disconnect "field wires". " They are the wires on the alternator"
>
> 3. I'm not sure how to properly identify or disconnect "the fusible link wire". same thing just the wires on the alternator."
>
> 4. Is the "generator output stud wrench (SA9401C)" some sort of specialty tool, if so, I likely don't have it and would need to know what, if any, substitute tool I can use to hold the stud from rotating.
>
> You should not have to remove the stud but if you do just install 2 nuts on the stud and counter tighten them together, and then turn them with a wrench to remove the stud.