MIKEVIN_BEGGS, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  General Motors, Ford, & Mitsubishi Certified technician.

2005 cadillac srx: temp and gas gauge wont move car alarm..module

can''t get my key out of ignition, battery dies nightly, temp and gas gauge wont move car alarm armed. help 2005 cadillac srx told it might be a module????
Category: Car
Expert:  MIKEVIN_BEGGS replied 8 years ago.

Hello, my name is Kevin.

When you are satisfied with my answer, Please click ACCEPT. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Bulletin No.: 04-06-03-003C

Date: March 05, 2007

Intermittent Dead Battery or Battery Goes Dead Overnight (Replace Overhead Console Assembly)

2003-2005 Cadillac CTS
2004-2005 Cadillac CTS-V, SRX

This bulletin is being revised to update the warranty information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-03-003B (Section 06 - Engine).

Built Prior to the Production Dates shown.

Some customers may comment on an intermittent dead battery or of the battery going dead overnight.

This condition may be caused by the instrument panel brightness lever, located on the overhead console, being slightly engaged but not enough to turn on the interior courtesy lamps. The slightly engaged switch causes the Dash Integration Module (DIM) to cycle between active and inactive which wakes up other modules on the Class 2 data line. This causes the vehicle to remain active. The scan tool will not indicate that the switch is active.

Technicians are to replace the overhead console assembly with an newly designed part.

The above bulletin is just for your information.

The cause of your issue revolves around the ignition, not releasing the key & keeping the computers active.

Here is another bulletin

Bulletin No.: 05-02-35-002

Date: April 18, 2005

Unable to Rotate Key in Ignition, Ignition Lock Cylinder Jammed (Replace Ignition Lock Cylinder)

2004-2005 Cadillac SRX

Some customers may comment that the ignition key will not rotate in either direction, or that the ignition lock cylinder is jammed.

This condition may be caused by the ignition lock cylinder key guides shearing, causing the lock cylinder to jam when the ignition key is not fully inserted before attempting to rotate it to the Start position.

Using the service procedure published in SI (Document ID #797076), replace the ignition lock cylinder.

Your Basic Warranty is for a period of 4 yr. / 50,000 mi.. As long as you have not exceeded this time or mileage, the repair will be done at no cost to you.

As for cost if you have exceeded the warranty period, it depends on what is wrong

(between $90 & $500)

I strongly recommend the GM major guard extended warranty.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to KEVIN BEGGS's Post: I would love to accept your answer - but it really isn't helpful - let me explain in a little more detail.....
Key is stuck in the ignition and will not come out, I can however start and stop the car, the gear shift goes into park,drive,reverse, etc... but the car will not move and it is on.
The AC works, radio works,etc.. and finally got a message saying battery running low so I disconnected the battery. I have been told it could be the body control module hope this is a more extensive explanation of my issue Kevin - I look forward to hearing from you.

I apologize for the confusion.

The warranty is correct.

Your Basic Warranty is for a period of 4 yr. / 50,000 mi..

As for the cost of repair, I am leaning toward the $500 mark due to the cost of the part. Unless it is covered by your basic warranty.

As for your concern, the second bulletin (#05-02-35-002) is the cause. If it were a module, the key would not be stuck. The key goes into the lock cylinder, you turn it, the transponder is read & the car starts. You turn the vehicle off & the key comes out, unless there is a mechanical failure inside the lock assembly.

A module signal does not hold the key in the lock cylinder. A mechanical tumbler does.

Since the key is stuck, all of the following will work : start and stop the car, the gear shift goes into park,drive,reverse, etc...The AC works, radio works,etc..

Take it to a dealer or a trusted GM mechanic & have it fixed.

You said earlier, "moving for alternate street parking", but now, "but the car will not move and it is on".

So now my question is does it move when in gear or not ?

This would be a separate concern.

Best of luck.