John, Master Automotive Technician
Experience:  ASE A1-A8 & L1 Master GM Tech 40 years experience
6408229

chevy: stall..electrical short in the accessory circuit..blowing..cuts

my chevy silverado will start up strong and stall after start. there appears to be an electrical short in the accessory circuit as the fuse is blowing. I can''t use my reader as the power cuts out just after start and there is no power to access circuit. any suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I need a little information to help you.

Exactly which fuse was blown ?

What size engine is in your vehicle ?

When the engine stalls,will it crank (engage starter) afterwards ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
5.2 liter 8 cylender
The fuse is the one for the accessory outlet in the dashboard. When it burnt last week, it actually burnt - as in on fire and filled the cab with smoke. I had to chip it out of the fuse panel. I think I'm lucky it didn't burn the truck up.

When the engine stalls, it seems to be an electrical cut in the power, where all the power dies to the system.

I'm wondering if it could have anything to do with the after market stereo system I had Fry's Electronics put in 7 months ago.

The engine will crank afterwards if I turn it off and back on. It does not appear to be a bad battery or starter as it starts strong each time. I'm also assuming it is electrical as the power cuts before it dies.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
By the sound of it ,yes you are.I need to know : what fuse # & amperage of the fuse in the instrument panel fuse block(exactly) we are talking about.This vehicle has underhood fuse block & IP fuse block.What size fuse die you put back in?What size or color was the one you chipped out ?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
Some of your accessory fuses are fused by larger fuses in the underhood electrical center.These power the vehicles computer systems & are powered up with the key in the off position.When a fuse burns ,as you described,there is excessive heat & it usually burns the terminals that the fuse sits in.They either have to be cleaned or replace to pass current.Anytime some adds an after market product to an electrical system it has to be done properly in respect to circuit load & protection.Check all your underwood fuses in the electrical center(left front of engine area.
John, Master Automotive Technician
Experience: ASE A1-A8 & L1 Master GM Tech 40 years experience