Bob
Bob, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  40 year GM Tech. +30 Certified. ASE Master Tech.(expired, retired) Medium Duty, Heavy Line, Retired
2210118

how do I remove a heater core from a 1992 chevy silverado ...

Customer Question

how do I remove a heater core from a 1992 chevy silverado with air-conditioning
Category: Car
Expert:  Bob replied 8 years ago.
1991-92 R/V and 1991-98 C/K Series Sorry, no pictures for this one.
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain the cooling system.
  3. Remove the instrument panel glove compartment.
  4. Tag and unplug all electrical leads as necessary.
  5. Remove the center air distribution duct from the floor.
  6. If necessary, remove the ECM and mounting tray.
  7. Remove the hinge pillar trim panels.
  8. Remove the blower motor cover and then remove the motor.
  9. Remove the steering wheel and tilt back the instrument panel slightly.
  10. Remove the coolant overflow tank. Disengage the heater hoses at the core connections.
  11. Unfasten the attaching screws and nut and then remove the heater case.
  12. Remove the seven screws and lift off the heater case cover.
  13. Remove the fasteners and brackets that hold the heater core to the case and lift the core from the case.
To install:
  1. Install the heater core in the case.
  2. Install the heater case bottom plate. Make sure there is a good seal.
  3. Install the heater case into the truck. Tighten the 4 lower screws to 17 inch lbs. (2 Nm); the upper screw to 97 inch lbs. (11 Nm); and the nuts to 25 inch lbs. (2.8 Nm).
  4. Connect the heater hoses at the core tubes.
  5. Install the coolant overflow tank.
  6. Install the instrument panel and the steering wheel.
  7. Install the blower motor and cover.
  8. Install the trim panels and if removed, the ECM. Install the air distribution duct and reconnect all electrical leads.
  9. Install the glove compartment. Fill the cooling system and connect the battery cable.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
your answer to my question was wrong, only on the 1999 and above do you have to remove the dash and steering wheel, on a 1992 all you have to do is remove the coolant and the hoses to the heater core then remove the 7 screws in the bottom plate to get access to the heater core itself, once you have access to the heater core there is a clip screwed in that holds the heater core at the top that holds it in position, once that is removed you lower the heater core and pull it thru the fire wall and reverse the process to install the new one, all this is in the 1992 sevice manual which I did not want to purchace, so I ask the question here and yes the new heater core is in
and it took about an hour.

I want a refund,
Expert:  Bob replied 8 years ago.
No problem at all. I will request that for you. All I can do is apologize for the information I sent. Had I been able to view the truck, I would have sent different info. I guess the on line version of the service manual, which is where I got the info, is just plain wrong or the years got crossed somehow. Sorry, but I was at their mercy. You should be hearing from JA soon about the refund, but your deposit is only a deposit, until and unless you click accept on any given answer. I am happy for you that it has been fixed and really very sorry for the mis-info that you received. Thanks for your patience.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Bob's Post:
I can not find a link for a refund,
do you know how I do that?

thanks
Expert:  Bob replied 8 years ago.

I did put in a request for you late last night. If you have not heard from them in a day or so, you might try the link below. They will have no problem doing that for you, but they do really get busy toward the weekend. Thanks for your patience.

http://car.justanswer.com/support.aspx