Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years Ford Lincoln/Mercury Jaguar dealership as a technician and shop foreman reparing all makes
10437779

2001 jaguar s type: 4.0 engine..overheating..water pump and thermostat

Customer Question

4.0 engine on 2001 jaguar s type overheating even after water pump and thermostat replaced?
Category: Car
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Did you replace the water pump and t-stat for an overheating concern?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
water pump replaced because it was leaking. thermostat replaced because of over heating. also replaced radiator reservoir tank because of a crack.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Ok

Did you do the work yourself? If so did you fill the engine with new coolant first through the t-stat housing cap? Do you know how hot the engine got?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
work done at local cad./gmc. dealership where I purchased the car. dash lite comes on and message center warns of hot engine.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Do you know if the cooling fans are coming on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes fan is coming on
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

You already have replaced the usual parts that cause those engines to overheat. It may just be an air pocket in the system from them not filling the engine block first. May be you can talk to the tech and ask if he filled the system through the cap on top of the t-stat housing then filled the expansion tank with the bleeder screw loosened. If the engine did get too hot it is always possible that it's a bad head gasket.

Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 12 years Ford Lincoln/Mercury Jaguar dealership as a technician and shop foreman reparing all makes
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the car is still at the dealership. I'll ask tomorrow if they filled thru t-stat housing.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Ok

Let me know.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have not heard from dealership this morning. where is the t-stat cap and bleeder valve located?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

The t-stat cap is on top of the housing and is removed with a 10mm hex key. The bleeder is a small plastic screw on the bleed hose near the expansion tank. The t-stat housing is number 7 in the pic. The bleeder is on the hose in the second pic.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
when I hear from the dealership I'll let you know. thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
heard from mechanic. let car idle seemed ok. test drove a short distance and temp gauge shot way up. brought car back to dealership and checked engine temp about 200 degrees fan ran for several minutes and shut off. they wonder if bad sending unit. they have no way to check codes or read them. any more ideas. thanks bud
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i'm not sure if last post went through to richard
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Hello again

It's possible that the coolant temp sensor is bad but the gauge does that on those cars. If the temp was around 200 degrees and the fans came on then I would say that the sensor is working as it should. The gauge will go from the middle to the red in seconds. Did you ask how they filled the system?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
they said they filled as you directed. but I question
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Yeah you can't be sure. Since it's at a dealership I hope they checked the basics like a small leak somewhere, a restriction in the system (maybe heater core or radiator), the aux heater pump is working. If they have a generic OBD II scanner they can monitor the ect sensor signal or monitor it with a volt meter. The sensor should have 5 volts on the white wire with the key on and the voltage across the sensor will vary with temp.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm going home for the night. I'II see what happens tomorrow. thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Ok

Talk to you later.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I,m taking car to a different shop on July 7th. He said he can read th codes. We'll see what I find out.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Hello again

Ok. Let me know if you need further assistance. Good luck.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
richard thanks for all your help. New mechanic checked water pump I had replaced a year ago. guess what? impeller was broken. trashed. should have a new one in tomorrow. thank again. bud
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Thats good. Good luck and let me know if you need further help.