OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic
9051600

Water pump changeout on a 1999 mitsubishi eclipse 2.

water pump changeout on a 1999 mitsubishi eclipse 2.0 16 valve no turbo what is required
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Removal & Installation

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Drain the engine coolant into a suitable container.

3. Remove the timing belt, as outlined later in this section.

4. If necessary, remove the alternator brace from the water pump.

5. Unfasten the retainers, then remove any brackets for access to the rear cover.

6. If necessary, remove the timing belt rear cover.

Remove the bracket retaining bolts ..idth=

Remove the bracket retaining bolts ...

..en remove the bracket for access to the rear cover

... then remove the bracket for access to the rear cover

Remove the rear timing belt cover retaining bolts ..idth=

Remove the rear timing belt cover retaining bolts ...

..en remove the rear timing belt cover in order to access the water pump

... then remove the rear timing belt cover in order to access the water pump

1. Remove the water pump mounting bolts.

Unfasten the water pump mounting bolts

Unfasten the water pump mounting bolts

1. Remove the water pump, gasket and O-ring. Discard the gasket and O-ring and replace with new ones during installation.

Remove the water pump assembly from the vehicle

Exploded view of the water pump mounting, 1995-98 2non-turbo engine

Exploded view of the water pump mounting, 1995-98 2.0L non-turbo engine

Click to Enlarge

To install:

1. Install a new O-ring on the water inlet pipe. Coat the O-ring with water or coolant. Do not allow oil or other grease to contact the O-ring.

2. Use a new gasket and install the water pump to the engine block. Tighten the mounting bolts to 8.7-11 ft. lbs. (12-15 Nm). Install the alternator brace on the water pump. Tighten the brace pivot bolt to 17 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).

When installing a new water pump gasket, make sure to position it properly to avoid leakage

1. If removed, install the timing belt rear cover.

2. Install the timing belt.

3. Install the remaining components.

4. Refill the engine with coolant.

5. Connect the negative battery cable, start the engine and check for leaks.

OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience: Mechanic