OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic
9051600

2003 hyundai santa fe: the timing belt broke

Customer Question

the timing belt broke on a 2003 hyundai santa fe and need to know how to reset it.
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

2.7L Engine
  Exploded view of the timing belt assembly-2engine

Exploded view of the timing belt assembly-2.7L engine

Click to Enlarge
  1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.

2. Remove or disconnect the following:

• Engine cover

3. Using a 16mm wrench, rotate the tensioner arm clockwise about 14 degrees and remove the drive belt.

• Power steering pump pulley, idler pulley, tensioner pulley and crankshaft pulley

• Upper and lower timing covers

• Timing belt tensioner

4. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise and align the timing mark to set the No. 1 cylinder to Top Dead Center (TDC). Make sure the timing marks of the camshaft sprocket and cylinder head cover should align with each other.

NOTE

If reusing the belt, mark the direction of rotation on the belt to ensure proper belt installation.

5. Unbolt the tensioner and remove the belt.

6. Hold the flange of the camshaft with a wrench, unfasten the sprocket bolts and remove the sprockets.

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:

• Idler pulley on the water pump boss

• Idler pulley to the roll pin that is pressed in the water pump boss

• Tensioner arm and plain washer to the block

• Tensioner pulley to the tensioner arm

• Camshaft sprockets and align the timing marks. Tighten the bolts to 65-80 ft. lbs. (90-110 Nm).

2. Compress the tensioner and install a set pin to keep the plunger in position.

• Tensioner and tighten the bolt to 14-20 ft. lbs. (20-27 Nm)

3. Align the sprocket timing marks and install the belt in the following order:

• Crankshaft sprocket

• Idler pulley

• Camshaft sprocket on the left hand side

• Water pump pulley

• Camshaft sprocket on the right hand side

• Tensioner pulley

4. Remove the tensioner set pin.

5. Adjust the timing belt tension as follows:

• Rotate the crankshaft 2 turns clockwise and measure the projected length of the auto tensioner at TDC after being installed for 5 minutes.

• The projected length should be 6-8mm. Make sure the timing marks are in their specified positions or remove and reinstall the belt.

6. Install or connect the following:

• Upper and lower timing belt covers

• Drive belt

• Engine cover

Correct timing marks alignment with the timing belt installed-2engine

Correct timing marks alignment with the timing belt installed-2.7L engine

Click to Enlarge
        Remove the set pin from the auto tensioner-2engine

Remove the set pin from the auto tensioner-2.7L engine

Click to Enlarge
        The projected length of the auto tensioner at Top Dead Center (TDC) should be 6-8mm-2engine

The projected length of the auto tensioner at Top Dead Center (TDC) should be 6-8mm-2.7L engine

Click to Enlarge
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience: Mechanic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Could not mark belt before removing it because it broke. Need to know how to retime.

Does not have to be marked. The timing marks are as shown. You are not reusing the old belt, do not have to mark.

OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience: Mechanic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to OnlineMechanic's Post: Number 1 TDC unknown?
You will have the 1 TDC (Top Dead Center) when you set the crankshaft timing mark. You can double check it by pulling the spark plugs out and measuring the distance to make sure they are all equal (Just as a safety precaution).
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience: Mechanic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do I know which one is Number 1?

Rear left would be number 1. You want to get a stick that can fit into the spark plug hold and rest on the piston, put it in and mark where it comes out. Masure the rest and make sure they are all the same. I am sure once you align the bottom timing mark (crankshaft) you will have them all exactly the same.

OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience: Mechanic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is this interference motor?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is the 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe a interference motor?
Yes it uses a timing belt.