AutoSavvy
AutoSavvy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Tech, Foreign and Domestic. Dealer, independent shop, and Carmax experienced.
10354530

I lost my only set of keys to my car how can i get the codes

I lost my only set of keys to my car how can i get the codes for a new set
Category: Car
Expert:  AutoSavvy replied 6 years ago.
HeyCustomer

Sorry for your troubles. That seems to be an incredibly inadequate answer doesn't it? The only thing you should need is your 17 digit VIN(vehicle identification number). It can be found by looking at the base of the windshield from the outside on the drivers side or on the sticker at the inside of the drivers door. I just spoke to a dealer here in Atlanta and he informed me that what would be needed is the VIN #, picture ID and proof of ownership to cut a new key. I don't know who you talked to at the dealer, but the PARTS department is the place that deals with that. Other departments may give you a run around when they don't know the answer. It seems like people are afraid of not knowing answers or asking someone who might know. I don't think the key on your car is a programmable one, so I don't believe you will have to deal with that. But if you do, the VIN number should suffice.

I would contact the parts department of the closest dealer you have or contact the next one you find if that doesn't work. Sometimes the automotive industry specializes in customer NO service!

I hope this answers your question fully and let me know if I can help you in any other way. Good luck!
AutoSavvy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Auto Tech, Foreign and Domestic. Dealer, independent shop, and Carmax experienced.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to AutoSavvy's Post: Unfortunately I live in Hawaii and on my island there is only one Mazda dealership and i talked to the parts department there and they told me they don't have records of cars that old (its only a 95) They told me to go see a locks smith. I don't even want to think about what it would cost to have them drive out here inspect the car and make a new key. I may try contacting a dealership on another island and see if there is any way i can prove that i own the car without going there in person and see if they can make a key.
Expert:  AutoSavvy replied 6 years ago.
That seems like a good option. A dealer should be able to verify your information(maybe even in the continental US) by having you fax your ID and title/registration information and cut you a key. It shouldn't be any problem for them to mail you a key once they verify your information. Sending you a key to your address of record with copies of ID and registration in hand shouldn't be a problem. Good luck and let me know if I can research anything else if you have problems.