GM-Frank, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  37 Years Automotive Diagnosis & Repair. Experience with all makes and models..

How hard is it to install a water pump on a 2002 saturn sl

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  GM-Frank replied 7 years ago.

Here are the steps to replace the water pump on the 2002 1.9L Saturn SL.

• Drain coolant. Open the radiator drain plug and engine drain plug, and allow the coolant to drain into a suitable container. A two gallon container is required.
  • graphic

2. Jack or raise vehicle on a hoist.
    3. Remove the right hand tire and inner wheel well splash shield. IMPORTANT: The A/C compressor mounting bolts can also be removed and the compressor laid aside to access the water pump if the pump is accessed from the top. Do not discharge the A/C system. NOTICE: Spray the water pump hub with a penetrating oil to loosen any rust that may prevent the pulley from being easily removed. If the pulley is pried off the hub and bent, it must be replaced to prevent accessory drive belt failures.

1. Remove water pump pulley bolts and allow pulley to hang freely on pump hub. IMPORTANT:

• A 25.4 mm (1 inch) block of wood or hammer handle can be used as a wedge between the crankshaft and water pump pulleys to hold the water pump pulley from turning when loosening the pulley bolts.
    • Pulley bolts are removed to allow pulley to be moved outward and allow access to water pump flange bolts. Pulley and pump are then removed as an assembly

Remove the six water pump flange attachment bolts.

Remove any gasket material from cylinder block.

• Install a new gasket on the pump flange. IMPORTANT: A small dab of silicone or gasket sealant will be required at the outer edges of bolt holes to hold the gasket in place during pump installation.

1. Install the pulley loosely on the water pump hub. Do not install the pulley bolts.
    2. Install the water pump and pulley on the engine. IMPORTANT: A small mark (bump) is located next to one attachment bolt. The mark is positioned at the 11 o'clock position during installation of the water pump.

Torque: 30 Nm (22 ft. lbs.)

• Install pulley on pump hub. The pulley can be held using a strap wrench, block of wood or hammer handle. Torque: 25 Nm (19 ft. lbs.) IMPORTANT: If the pump pulley hub end extending through the pulley is rusty, clean it with a wire brush and apply a thin coat of primer paint to prevent the pulley from rusting on the hub.
    1. Install accessory drive belt.
    2. Install right hand side wheel house splash shield and tire.
    3. Close radiator drain plug and install cylinder block drain plug. Torque cylinder block drain plug Torque: 35 Nm (26 ft. lbs.) IMPORTANT: The vehicle must be level when filling with coolant.
    4. Fill the cooling system to the FULL COLD range with coolant. Use a 50/50 mixture of DEX-Cool(TM) antifreeze and clean water.
    5. Run engine until upper radiator hose is hot, then add additional coolant, if needed, to bring the level to the FULL COLD range.
    6. Install coolant recovery reservoir cap and check for leaks.

The above steps should help you determine if this is a job for you or for a professional technician.

I hope this it what you were looking for.

Take Care